Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Steering columns explained

Hi Everyone,

I just removed my top pot because my Steering Wheel don't go home all the way (indicators wouldn't auto cancel) and I could pull the wheel up slightly.

On inspection the top bearing looks fine, I have a bearing Kit from RARES to replace it all with.

A couple of questions.

1. Where else do I look for symptoms as to why the wheel pulls up about 1/4 of an inch?

2. I removed the ignition rod at the top pot first (probably should have done it at the ignition switch. Is it easier to re assemble if I undo the rod at the bottom ?

3. When putting the new bearing in, do I do this before reinstalling the top pot (I can imagine it requires a bit of tapping to get into place, cant image I should do this when on the column ?

4. I have read the bearing should be glued into place ? (any recommendations )

5. Is there an idiots guide to re assembly?

Thanks for your help
    Last edited by HXsman; 01-08-2016 at 10:12 PM. Reason: typo

remove steering wheel (use a puller or be gentle rocking side to side and top to bottom) remove indicator arm and centre canceling mech (3 phillips head screws), remove cir-clip around shaft and spring and washers come off. flick ignition rod off and then there are 4 small bolts at the front of the pot that hold it to the column. once you've taken them off your pot should be free. you may need to take key barrel out (google this). Then I'd go to a local workshop and ask them to press new one out/in - if it's not too flogged out otherwise yeah, some glue perhaps.

yeah should have flicked rod at ignition switch not a barrel. will take a bit of dicking around to get all teeth aligned now so key talks correctly to switch.

i think a lot of the damage done to columns (in and out shaft play that you are talking about) is when people pull the wheel off without a puller.
    BQZ

Thanks Vombil, I don't have a pull but I just rock it from side to side as you suggest and it comes free. I'll get one once I overcome this issue.

How do you com[press the spring enough to get the circlip back in (during re install)
    Last edited by HXsman; 01-08-2016 at 11:09 PM.

It sounds like you might have a sheared pin in the collapsible column. This causes problems with it allowing the shaft to pull too far up as well and too far down.

Hi Innuendo,

Is it fixable?, can I get to it from within the van or have to pull out the whole column ?

Cheers

Dean

Banned
    Read page one of the thread and it shows what the problem is. Looks like a fair amount of work to fix and would be caused most often by not using a puller to remove the wheel.

two screw drivers and work it down from side to side. might not be the best way tho!
    BQZ

Sorry Vombil,

Not sure what you mean here. IS that to get the spring compressed enough to fit the circlip ?

Cheers

Dean

Quote Originally Posted by HXsman View Post
    Hi Innuendo,

Is it fixable?, can I get to it from within the van or have to pull out the whole column ?

Cheers

Dean
    Undo the steering column shaft at the knuckle joint (engine bay) and you can pull the whole metal collapsible column from within the steering column casing.
    Once you have it out you will see where the pin is and whether it has been broken. Fixable? I guess so. take it to an engineer and have a new pin made.
    Understand though they are meant to break in an accident.

Quote Originally Posted by HXsman View Post
    Sorry Vombil,

Not sure what you mean here. IS that to get the spring compressed enough to fit the circlip ?

Cheers

Dean
    yeah mate put the washer, spring, washer and then clip on and work it down the shaft with the two srewdrivers. have to push real hard!!
    BQZ

Thread Information