Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hz sandman seats

P Plater

Hz sandman seats

G'day all just wondering if anyone out there had any info on or the legalities of seats in back of sandman ? Pics ect as we have just had a daughter and would love to be able to cruise again . Any info much appreciated cheers

I believe the laws vary from state to state. The main issue is from a safety aspect. If you want to use a bench seat facing forward, there isnt adequate room for an emergency exit, if a bad situation should arise. Although ive seen a guy with a hz sandman that has mounted his bench seat sideways in the cargo area and may have passed registration, but i am not sure. Seat belts need to be securely mounted as well. Theres a few things to think about. Maybe speak to your local engineer for solid advice.

Hope that helps

P Plater
    Yeah emergency exit situation makes sense ill have to do some research and find an engineer . Thanks for your help

forget it in WA dude. the blokes at rego take no greater delight than squashing peoples dreams
    BQZ

Ah! Therein lies the only real benefit of a bench seat!
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

My ex Brother inlaw did it in his HZ sandman in the late eighties in Victoria. he had to go through a whole heap of engineering for it to pass.
    In the end he got it done then sold it about six months later. Said it was to hard getting the capsule in and out.

Cruiser
    I have a mate in Victoria who has a bench seat mounted in a H/KTG van. No side doors cut in... It's registered and legal.

Sandman Guru
    The concept isn't that much different to a Gemini wagon or a V2 CV8 . I can't see why you couldn't do it if you used Torana 77 style seat mechs and had properly Engineered floor and seatbelt mounts.

I've put a VX wagon dickie seat in the back along one side. Looks good with black leather and has inbuilt seat belts.

I think HKTG have the rightfloorpan in the back to take the wagon rear seat. Legroom and seat height in the QJXZ make it a little less ideal. I used to have a set of Gemini seats facing backwards in the back. Wasn't great cause your legs were always outstretched and getting in and out was a pain. Never got them engineered so pulled them out at the next rego inspection and never put them back in.
    I'd hate to have to try and lift a baby in and out of the back of a van. Might be time to tell the wife you need a new project. Statesman, or a Coupe?

Thread Information