Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WB bitza

Learner Driver
    So reverse lights fitted, put enough of the dash/glove box etc back together to made the roadworthy man happy as well as putting in a temp gauge as the boggo stock one was not working.

I've been over the car front to back with the roadworthy info sheet that's on the VicRoads website and can't see anything else that I have to get sorted except for the remounting/routing of the transmission cooler lines. They have been fitted a bit too close to the exhaust for my liking.

Any tips common problems that I should be looking at for the roadworthy or rego?

I am going to drop it in to the mechanics just around the corner who also do roadworthy tests tomorrow and get him to reroute the lines and then do a roadworthy. On the way I will stop and take some more pics. As soon as that's done its off to VicRoads for, hopefully, an easy rego process.

Sandman Driver
    Was going to do that as the spokes are a bit dull, might see how they come up with some chrome polish and elbow grease.
    The spokes always were a bit duller than the rims on dragways, they are are an aluminium alloy, hard to get em to shine bright, but I reckon they look great if you can get em clean. The odd scratch here and there in the spokes is usually unnoticed by an observer, its just the owner that really sees the flaws - knowledge that comes from polishing em!

I think there was a dragway style wheel (not dragways though I don't think) which had matt black/ grey spokes, in a sort of powder coated finish, the spokes were a slightly different shape, they may have been made by ROH, but I dunno why I think that, its a vague memory.

Quote Originally Posted by SLR_dave View Post
    I think there was a dragway style wheel (not dragways though I don't think) which had matt black/ grey spokes, in a sort of powder coated finish, the spokes were a slightly different shape, they may have been made by ROH, but I dunno why I think that, its a vague memory.
    You are thinking of "Hustlers"

Yep, Hustlers were cool. Sort of a sandblasted finish on the spokes if I remember correctly....
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

[QUOTE=748Rum;70155]

Any tips common problems that I should be looking at for the roadworthy or rego?

It may be just my querky way of thinking but I always leave a cupple of obvious things for the inspector to 'pick on' that way they would be happy to have some thing on the report, thinking that nothing is 100%. My 2cents

Learner Driver
    Forum back up and running good to see.
    Took the WB round to the mechanic and needed to get a couple if things sorted. New idler arm as too much play, 1 wheel bearing too much play and a rear suspension hanger rubber was a bit average so all sorted. Big issue was the exhaust. It was a brand new system including extractors etc about 3 months before I bought it but they had put straight through mufflers and hotdogs on it so of course bloody loud. Mufflers had to be replaced with some good triple core ones. Sounds much better as a result too. Rego was pain free and she's now my daily driver.
    Couple of issues so far have been
    1)does not like to run when cold with it missing and backfiring through the carb (auto choke misbehaving and a tune so will sort them out)
    2)vibration at part throttle from 75-85kph and
    3)seems to be an issue with kickdown and squeeling (power steering belt by the sounds of things) from the engine bay somewhere when I give it a bootful. Never owned an auto so will do some reading on the various forums. The trimatic was rebuilt in 2009 but I don't think it's been serviced or adjusted since then so might be a trip to the auto shop. Looking at slotting in a T5 next year so just need it to last for 12 months.

Congrats! It's a great feeling when you get something back on the road.

You sound like you have issue 1 right to me. Issue 2 could be a number of things, tailshaft, uni-joint, bent axle, bad gearbox x-member mount.... And issue 3 is no big deal, could just be the kickdown switch needs adjusting and the belt replaced or tightened. The trimatic will be fine if you don't flog it. I'll have it when you've finished with it if you don't want it.......

Have fun and enjoy it!
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Learner Driver
    Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated. The painted wheels were made to look like American Racing 5 spokes with the painted spokes and hub but the rim chromed. They looked good but after giving these a polish the other day they came up shiny so will leave them alone. When these tyres wear out I will be fitting a set of GTS rims and tyres (wanting a set of 15x7 & 15x8 steels). I am keeping my eyes peeled to pick up some standard ones on the cheep and then I'll send them off for refurb and up-sizing.
    Most important jobs at the moment are sorting out the vibration and fit the rubber kit. Did a 150km round trip to Kyneton today on the way work and it's a touch noisy with no door rubbers, perished window rubbers and the vibration. Also the seating position is not the best, it's got premier seats in it but you feel like you are falling forward out of them so will have a look at the mountings and see what I can do to fix it.

Cruiser
    Dragways are the bomb as far as wheels go. Never thought you'd wanna paint the centres black until I saw it in the flesh. Looks amazing. I'd do it..!

Learner Driver
    Looks great mate. Good pickup. My WB has been great to me and hopefully yours will be the same

Thread Information