Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Two molested HZ's, what to do next.

Learner Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    this has had some money spent, still a replica but much easier to finish off.
    $14990 or make an offer.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1978-Hold...ht_1961wt_1362
    Attachment 9666
    Attachment 9667

here is another replica, both would have had more than the asking price spent on them.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...D-2199317&Cr=7
    Yes i have looked at both of these previously, and know that they would have both would have had more money spent on them than the asking price. I guess i'm a sentimental female who thinks it's a shame to not give these old cars a continued life. The PV at the begging of this month drove from Mildura to Wangarratta to Brisbane. But yes these options make much more financial sense. Thanks for the links to them.

The trick to overcoming the sentimental aspect is to spend that $30k on a restored Sandman first. Once it's in the garage you'll feel less attached to your current van. If I was in your situation I'd buy a nice Sandman van, take all the best bits from your current van and put them in the ute. That way you have a reasonable ute that you can park at Bunnings and use as a ute, as well as the nice genuine van that you can take for Sunday drives and go to car shows.

You have to remember that these aren't limited edition factory muscle cars. Even a Sandman is just a regular work vehicle with an options package added. Holden made as many as were ordered and while they're reasonably desirable, they're hardly scarce.

Learner Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by playwme View Post
    The trick to overcoming the sentimental aspect is to spend that $30k on a restored Sandman first. Once it's in the garage you'll feel less attached to your current van. If I was in your situation I'd buy a nice Sandman van, take all the best bits from your current van and put them in the ute. That way you have a reasonable ute that you can park at Bunnings and use as a ute, as well as the nice genuine van that you can take for Sunday drives and go to car shows.

You have to remember that these aren't limited edition factory muscle cars. Even a Sandman is just a regular work vehicle with an options package added. Holden made as many as were ordered and while they're reasonably desirable, they're hardly scarce.
    Food for thought. How much do you reckon to put the Van up for sale if we did Playme? Currently rego in Victoria, driving car, very straight body. Have suggested your idea to my other half, he is not that keen though. He loves it and it means more than money to him he says. He's promised me he will think about it. Not that hopeful since I got asked was i one of "those" wife's (i.e the ones who make their husbands sell their cars.) Maybe i just need to find a Sandman as you say to park in the garage first, then he won't mind so much!

Tough decision, glad I don't have to decide.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Keep them both, do what's needed to keep them on the road and enjoy them for what they are... nice mildly modified 70's icons.

You don't need to do full bare metal resprays, just tidy them up.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Learner Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post
    Keep them both, do what's needed to keep them on the road and enjoy them for what they are... nice mildly modified 70's icons.

You don't need to do full bare metal resprays, just tidy them up.
    Thanks Big Rob.

Like Rob said, if you have the room just keep them all. If you have a hankering for a real Sandman just buy one done already and add it to the collection. Your van in its current condition might pull $4000 if lucky. There are visible rust bubbles in a few bolt on panels and some stains coming from the gutters and seams. Those are the bits that are going to cost if you're paying someone to restore it. Most panel shops aren't interested in rust work and the good restorers have enough work with high end and custom cars that they'll quote prices that would be insane to spend on a van with 6cyl id tags. As a point of reference, a member here recently picked up a genuine 308 Sandman in similar condition (probably better on the rust front as it was a Canberra car) for $6000. If you really want to spend money on something, that's the better way to go.

Even if you aren't doing the panel work yourself you still need a good idea of the process to avoid spending too much money or getting ripped off. Plenty of projects stall due to this and the money spent is never completely recovered. Once you start you need to be committed to the end otherwise you loose interest.
    In terms of restoration costs here are a couple of examples I know of recent restorations on Sandman's. First was just under $30k. That was with the owner doing the majority of the work. His son in law was a painter so he got a real good deal on that. Second was in excess of $50k, again with the owners doing most of the tear down and reassembly. Paint done by a good friend at better than retail cost but an extremely top job. Both vehicles were extremely straight and rust free to begin with too. Add in some nasty suprises and it's not hard to add 5k of panel work to the job.

If you're into old cars to make money, walk away NOW.
    They are a hobby, they provide enjoyment.
    We all have to have a hobby (or we go mental).
    I justify my spending, by saying (to myself), if my hobby was gambling/fishing/footy etc i'd be out "wasting" money on that.
    I'd rather Saturday night in the garage than the pub.
    And if you spend the money over a reasonable time frame you wont notice it.
    It's about enjoying the process (the build), the chase (getting parts), the acheivements (finishing things) and then the drive.
    I get the van out about 20 times a year. With just rego and insurance that's $100 every time I turn the ignition key.
    But I enjoy it.

Learner Driver
    Well here I am five years on.... I may not post much but have always kept my eye on this forum. I took the advise of sandman forum members and sold the old PV and Ute mentioned in this thread, with the promise I would let my husband get another one, maybe a sandman even..... And as I waited and read much on the forums here, prices started to climb..... No more resorted Sandman's for $30-45,000, now it appears $60,0000 seems to be the going price. It was time to bite the bullet to fulfil my promise, before I became "one of those wives!"

Shout out # to playtime, valencia, mr Jones, buck, yobbo, big rob and chrisp who all contributed to this thread for me.

Well I got mostly there....

4a97649c-48ac-4a72-b717-8b4c14885aad.JPGIMG_3891.JPG137d6e5a-2e1b-431f-9d67-4ee76a1abe9d.JPG

Unfortunately looks like an accident at some point as the chassis doesn't match, however has some sandman features on body - i.e courtesy door lights.... Know many things not original (probably nothing!), but comments and suggestions always welcome. Eventually she will go back to Jasmine yellow with slate black trim.

Big thank you to all forum members on here for all your valuable knowledge and time that you put into here. It helped me identify her as a sandman based on the tags at least.

Learner Driver
    On a side note, found out recently what happened to my husbands old HZ PV that we sold (cried over), on the HQ to WB Facebook site, guess the vanning community is small.

She went from this....

IMG_0093.JPGimage.jpg

To now looking super show style

IMG_0328.JPG

They did a great job.

- - - Updated - - -

thumbnail_IMG_2650.jpg

As stated all recommendations considered if any one has any or thoughts. There are much more original and matching numbers Sandman's, but this is the one that came into our life recently.

Thread Information