Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6 cylinder sandmans?

Cruiser

6 cylinder sandmans?

Just a general question but would anyone have any idea how many 6 cylinders sandman vans built? I would imagine that they are less desirable than an eight but are they rarer now? You never see any!

Sandman Guru
    No-one wanted them hence why the 202 was dropped from HZ Sandman.

Banned
    No one wants them now either. They even turn noses up at 253 ones.

Sandman Guru
    For the right money a 202 or 253 example is a good buy, just remove the dodgy running gear and fit something decent that is a bolt in, like a 308 or Chev.

Cruiser
    Or keep it original. People chopped the roof off vans because no one wanted them. People have been raiding GTS's, Statesman's, Premiers and common cars for the dash, front doors and noses for years, it's now getting rarer and rarer to find a four door in good nick and for a reasonable price. I think if you found an original six cylinder Sandman it might be worth keeping as just that. Because everyone wants a 308, the scarcity of the six has to make it worth something?

Wally
    HX six cylinders with all the anti pollution on them are scarce too but nobody wants them either. Couldn't pull a skin off a custard !!

Quote Originally Posted by HJRAY View Post
    Just a general question but would anyone have any idea how many 6 cylinders sandman vans built? I would imagine that they are less desirable than an eight but are they rarer now? You never see any!
    They were never in big numbers but they did exist HQ to HX. Certainly rare but as mentioned it doesn't make them desirable. Of course an unmolested survivour will always pull interest but I fear only for the curiosity.

Cruiser
    You're possibly right. Like sixes in every other model. I guess if you were on P plates it would make sense? haha I'm not strictly a concourse person, but with the scarcity of the sic cylinder Sandman's it might be worth keeping one original.

Sandman Guru
    No probs keeping a Mickey Mouse one original, but i'd still swap the driveline out. It wouldn't devalue it in any way, and it is all unboltable anyway. To me that is still original, just had the driveline removed and put on a pallet. The only thing probably sacrificed would be the exhaust but it is unlikely that would be all original anyway, want to be a pretty good car to still have an original exhaust - my HJ Prem does but not the muffler.

If you had to rebuild one you'd be wasting money rebuilding the 6cyl driveline.

With rules governing power restrictions, a 6cyl Sandman would be one of the coolest P plate cars around

Thread Information