Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: Do You Remember?

Banned
    They still use the drive on hoists. They have different used to the other style. The drive on style limit what you can do because the car is still sitting on its wheels. The drive on ones are good for rego checks and oil changes etc.

Cruiser
    I think you just get a jack setup to bring all four or just front or rear up to do suspension work all exhaust shops would have four posters so it's all at right height when you drive on the road .

Cruiser
    Yes, I have several hoists & the best one is the 4-poster with drive-on ramps, plus it has a 'scissor lift'.

You can drive on & drive off very easily & if you want the wheels free, for brake work or whatever, you just position 4 rubber blocks under the appropriate body parts & then the car goes up a little further & then it has all the advantage of a 2-poster.

Can you believe that this hoist also has a fully lit, drained & vented pit underneath it. It's great for doing quick gearbox jobs. You can open both doors fully for removing consoles & shifter etc. while another 1 or 2 people can be underneath pulling the box itself. It also has wheel alignment extensions. Apparently it cost the original owner over $30K to buy & fit in the early 80s.

Dr Terry

I can remember going to my 1st movies as a child in the then OLD Mt Druitt village picture theatre and seeing my first movie with my mates, Running on empty, have been addicted to GM ever since, green is nice but black was best

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    They still use the drive on hoists. They have different used to the other style. The drive on style limit what you can do because the car is still sitting on its wheels. The drive on ones are good for rego checks and oil changes etc.
    There is usually two parts to a 4 post hoist operation. The ramps/elevating mechanism and another (usually a) ratchet mechanism that allows two lengthwise inner beams to be slid into position under the correct area of the suspension/underbody. There are small, usually rubberised blocks that then slide forward or rearward on top of the inner beams to the correct support points, the ratchet is engaged and the ramps then descend away from the wheels, allowing them to spin. This is usually done at around chest height and the ramps become a very useful bench to work right up next to the brake job etc.

We had an ancient Molnar 4 poster and a couple of Tecalmit 2 posters at my old workshop.
    Nunc est bibendum...

Wow, a quick look at this old thread and quite a few members who contributed haven't been heard from in quite some time.
    I was actually searching for another thread about the side window glass (never did find it!)
    Got caught up with a quick read of this thread and bought back some good memories.

Very true. I find I am not on here so often as have nothing to contribute, although the yellow van is being re sprayed and more rust cut out
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

You always have something to contribute Jennie.
    Events, Stories, Memories, Knowledge, Experiences, Helping me find HQ parts
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jennie285 View Post
    Very true. I find I am not on here so often as have nothing to contribute, although the yellow van is being re sprayed and more rust cut out
    Wow that's frustrating!
    Last edited by wbute; 17-09-2017 at 07:15 PM.

Thread Information