Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Remember?

Quote Originally Posted by V8VAN View Post
    Waltons. I got lost in the one in Bankstown Square when I was 5 or 6. Assuming K-mart or similar took them over.
    Waltons (the store) was taken over by Grace Bros who sold it to Norman Ross' new owner Alan Bond. Gerry Harvey and Ian Norman refused to sell Norman Ross to Alan Bond and so did a deal with Grace Bros.
    When he found out that the dirty had been done on him with the sale going to Bond in the end anyway. He started Harvey Norman in retaliation. Gerry Harvey's best mate (for many years) John Singleton's advertising agency mimicked the Waltons TV commercial with "We're going to beat you" with dancing cheerleaders pom-poms etc. In the end he was 100% right. Alan Bond went to gaol, Waltons is dead, Grace Bros is Myer and Harvey Norman is thriving.

The Waltons the TV series was a great family show of the '70's "Good Night John-Boy!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
    I was a colour TV technician back then & there were no 'cable operated' Rank Arenas. All of their remotes in those days were ultrasonic & they went infra red in the 80s.

Rank Arena TVs (which were re-badged NECs) didn't come to the Aust market until 1974/75 for the start of colour TV on Mar 1 1975.

The old cable remote TVs were around in the mid 60s on top end black & white TVs, like Kreisler etc.

Dr Terry
    Terry I 100% had a TV with a cable remote in the 1980's that I hired from Radio Rentals. I can't remember the brand though.
    Stupid bloody thing with a cable across the lounge room. Our puppy chewed through it and I had to pay to replace it. Then I went to Grace Bros and purchased a big Sharp TV in cabinet with stereo speakers with cordless remote for the grand total of $2200.00 in about 1984/5.

I purchased from Waltons Crown St Wollongong store in 1982 a 240/12Volt Phillips colour portable 10" that I watch the America's Cup on in 1983 (Actually I still have it in the shed) push button but no remote.
    Come to think of it I have a Orion portable 240/12v I purchased from Tandy Electronics as well (this one has a remote).

Wally
    Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    Terry I 100% had a TV with a cable remote in the 1980's that I hired from Radio Rentals. I can't remember the brand though.
    Stupid bloody thing with a cable across the lounge room. Our puppy chewed through it and I had to pay to replace it. Then I went to Grace Bros and purchased a big Sharp TV in cabinet with stereo speakers with cordless remote for the grand total of $2200.00 in about 1984/5.

I purchased from Waltons Crown St Wollongong store in 1982 a 240/12Volt Phillips colour portable 10" that I watch the America's Cup on in 1983 (Actually I still have it in the shed) push button but no remote.
    Come to think of it I have a Orion portable 240/12v I purchased from Tandy Electronics as well (this one has a remote).
    Now that you have mentioned Radio Rentals, why can't you go to RADIO rentals and rent a radio????

Leadfoot
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Now that you have mentioned Radio Rentals, why can't you go to RADIO rentals and rent a radio????
    You mean a wireless.

Wally
    Bakelite

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    Space food sticks?
    I loved them. The Chocolate and Caramel flavours.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post
    Here's one you'll all remember....

Lollygobbleblissbombs.
    You can still buy them. Toffee pop corn and peanuts. Back in the day I remember them being advertised on the "Super Flying Fun Show" on Channel 9. The show with Marty and Emu. The Paddle Pop Lion would also get a good amount of time on this kids show.

That get me thinking about Marty Monster (Remember the fight with the Kangaroo?)
    If you don't or wish to re-live it

Quote Originally Posted by Flamenco_not_Flamingo View Post
    I'm guessing plenty of you blokes have seen this but it still makes me giggle.

Watch it from 5.30 mark "real horny" Horny? What kind of word is that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhyFkaKNoQc
    It was a common catch phrase of the day. Just like Ace, Bulk, Groovy, Sick etc.

Quote Originally Posted by V8VAN View Post
    Couple I remember from when I was a kid.

Homestead Chicken restaurants. Used to love their fried mushrooms as a kid, which is weird cause I hate the friggin things now.
    It was BIG Rooster for me. They were eventually re-badged as Red Rooster.

Quote Originally Posted by fc.mad View Post
    Esso extra promotion put a tiger in your tank . And they give or sold you a tiger tail to tie to your petrol cap
    I have a tiger tail in my collection.

Cruiser
    Yes, Radio Rentals added those wired remotes in Australia, because they had huge stocks of non-remote TVs. A tech friend of mine got extra cash for wiring them up after hours. I think most Radio Rental sets in those days were AWA/Thorn from memory.

Mid the mid/late 80s just about every TV set on the market had infra red remotes.

Dr Terry

Cruiser
    It was BIG Rooster for me. They were eventually re-badged as Red Rooster.
    Big Rooster & Red Rooster were 2 separate companies which competed sided by side thru the 80s & early 90s (in Sydney at least) for quite a while.

Coles Myers owned Red Rooster from 1981 to 1992. The owners of the Big Rooster chain in the eastern states (Aust. Fast Foods) purchased Red Rooster from Coles Myers, merged the two & then rebranded all the stores as Red Rooster.

Dr Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
    Big Rooster & Red Rooster were 2 separate companies which competed sided by side thru the 80s & early 90s (in Sydney at least) for quite a while.

Coles Myers owned Red Rooster from 1981 to 1992. The owners of the Big Rooster chain in the eastern states (Aust. Fast Foods) purchased Red Rooster from Coles Myers, merged the two & then rebranded all the stores as Red Rooster.

Dr Terry
    Sort of...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Rooster

Cruiser
    This is one of the issues with Wikipedia. It's often not correct. Look here:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_Treat

Also the Aust. Fast Foods website seems to back up that version.

Regardless of which is correct (if either), I do remember both of them them co-existing in Sydney for many years.

Dr Terry

Thread Information