Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Remember?

Cruiser
    Hey Charger

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Hey Charger

Anyone remember "Musky Mints"?

They were small tic tac sized and in a small packet. I used to be addicted to them and constantly had a pink tongue that the school teachers would notice and I'd be busted for having lollies at school.

I also remember the public outcry when "Paddle Pops" went up in price from 3 cents to 5 cents and for a long time people were so outraged at the ridiculously high price that nobody would buy them.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post
    Anyone remember "Musky Mints"?
    allen's_musky_mints.jpg

Sandman Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    What colour and design was the can? Might have been in the fridge for a very looooooooooooong time!
    It had a denim design on the can, sort of steel blue denim colour, and it did have the 4 studs on the top that you pressed down, I remember that just like the original ones, no matter how hard I pushed them it only just split the seal on the can opening, and then I had to press that open, (getting that scrape against the side of thumb/fingers that you think will cut you, but doesnt if you're careful). I remember I did drink it all, tasted fine I'm sure I checked the date at the time, maybe it was a trial or a promotion. This was around 2004/2005.

How about.
    "Your sitting pretty parking in the city, starting and stopping - bringing home the shopping, the all new 120Y..."
    I seem to remember John Farnham's "Don't you know it's magic" sung about a Mazda? "Don't you know it's Mazda, oh baby it's Mazda. Get behind the wheel you'll find it amazing, luxury and comfort...."
    Chrysler Sigma - it's a Sensation! Car smashing through glass.
    Lovin this thread!

Who remembers the Government ad during the petrol crisis ;
    "Lets all save our petrol, This ones for Australia, If we use a little less we can look after ourselves, Theres at least a dozen ways to save our petrol".

(And look how cheap it was LOL LOL LOL LOL.)

I still have a couple of packets of throwdowns from my primary school days. Wonder if they would still work?
    um, wear saftey glasses if you try em?

Quote Originally Posted by SLR_dave View Post
    It had a denim design on the can, sort of steel blue denim colour, and it did have the 4 studs on the top that you pressed down, I remember that just like the original ones, no matter how hard I pushed them it only just split the seal on the can opening, and then I had to press that open, (getting that scrape against the side of thumb/fingers that you think will cut you, but doesnt if you're careful). I remember I did drink it all, tasted fine I'm sure I checked the date at the time, maybe it was a trial or a promotion. This was around 2004/2005.
    OK from my own personal collection:

stud_cola.jpg

The button Pop-Top is a thing of the late 1970's into about 1986. It replaced the ring pull that peeled right off. These were outlawed because of people dropping them and people standing on them OR people placing them inside the still full can and drinking, sometimes the it would flow out into the throat causing a choking hazard. This denim can is around 1978 and the Silver/Red version replaced it in the early 80's.
    The denim can had a textured feel (like denim) and goes back to around 1975 when the cans were steel (I have one of these also). The product was distributed by APD Pty Ltd and was part of the AMATIL group (as in Coca Cola Amatil) It would have been an acquired brand that Coke killed as opposition.

Note the 22 cent JEWEL food Barn price label on the silver can. Early Denim can was 370ml, later Silver can 375ml.

Before the denim can and the famous "Innuendo" of ...Unbutton a Stud was this style shown in the advertisement.

Last edited by Innuendo; 30-01-2014 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Spelling...

Sandman Driver
    Yep, thats it, the blue one, but I dont know why i recalled there being four divots to press on the top, maybe there were four divots on another brand and I got confused (was there a spring valley flavoured mineral water at some stage?) anyway yep looking at that now, thats the one - pop top. I could never see how the pop was supposed to work - I always assumed, you pushed the small one and the other was somehow supposed to open due to pressure or something, but of course it doesnt, and you have to squeeze your finger past the edge of the hole to open it properly. Dunno why I've always thought that, must have been an idea I got when I was a kid and it never went away!

Another image I have from the 70s is ring pull chains - people would collect a heap of ring pulls and make a chain by bending/rolling the tang of the first ring pull around the ring of the next and so on. One Christmas, our neighbours had one that went right around the living room and onto the tree. I was pretty young, I just assumed the much much older teenage brother in that house who had made it had drunk a heap of soft drink that year! I remember he had an electric guitar, the first one I ever saw, on reflection, the ring pulls probably didnt all come from soft drink!

anyway yep looking at that now, thats the one - pop top. I could never see how the pop was supposed to work
    You were meant to push the smaller one first to release the gas pressure; then the larger one to drink from. Opening up the smaller one allowed the fluid to flow faster out of the drinking hole. I remember some having so much pressure it was impossible to open the small one - especially if some bastard shook the can!

Another image I have from the 70s is ring pull chains
    Yes, ring pull chains were made by myself and brother every summer and every easter at Merry Beach on the NSW South Coast. All the men would down dozens of Toohey's cans each everyday (seriously) and as kids we would collect the ring pulls from the around the camp fire. On the big nights they would have a keg and that's where I learnt how to pull a beer as a kid.

You were meant to push the smaller one first to release the gas pressure; then the larger one to drink from. Opening up the smaller one allowed the fluid to flow faster out of the drinking hole. I remember some having so much pressure it was impossible to open the small one - especially if some bastard shook the can!
    Or, if you were a bit crafty and kept pressure in the can while you were drinking it, you could just crack the small blister/ opening eough so that the drink would flow when you leaned the blister against one of your teeth and re-seal when you took the pressure off the blister. That way you could drink the contents without "apparently" opening the can.... Great trick for a schoolkid to then have an empty can which which to fool his mates...
    Nunc est bibendum...

Quote Originally Posted by Taily View Post
    Or, if you were a bit crafty and kept pressure in the can while you were drinking it, you could just crack the small blister/ opening eough so that the drink would flow when you leaned the blister against one of your teeth and re-seal when you took the pressure off the blister. That way you could drink the contents without "apparently" opening the can.... Great trick for a schoolkid to then have an empty can which which to fool his mates...
    That's a neat trick, doesn't sound to good for the teeth though! I'd like an stealth empty can in my collection.

Here is my JVC portable 3 in 1 with Dynamic Microphone
    She runs on 4x "D" Cell Batteries or plug her into 240v.

jvc_pk-20.jpg

and a close up of what's playing!

sherbert_summer_love_jvc_pk-20.jpg

Thread Information