Thread: Week end at Toowoomba veteran and vintage swap meet

Flamenco_not_Flamingo

Week end at Toowoomba veteran and vintage swap meet

Mick and I had a great time at the Toowoomba swap meet. Windy as hell, but dry at least.

Met another couple of forum members, was a real pleasure meeting Duc1991, a thorough gentleman and his lovely wife, a great car couple, and had a few other car friends come down.

The vans attracted plenty of attention but better than that, they made for lots of conversations with people, walking down memory lane, ideas, discussions, vague teasing clues about vans " just like that" hidden away in various sheds to be discovered and vans having being discovered!

Could have actually used one of our forum expert people sitting there fielding all types of questions which were pretty interesting, people wanting to know what was what and did it have that but I did the next best thing and directed them to the forum mysandman.com.au

Met four people that made me extremely envious, owners of HQ Sandman panel vans, one who had bought his new, one who bought his when it was a year old and has done 2 full resto's on it, and other fantastic yarns of discovery and recovery , enjoyed it.

A HQ Sandman panel van is my Moby Dick and just like Ahab, the search continues.

Met people with Sandman utes and other Sandman panel vans, talked about colours and favourites and wish lists.

I would have made more money if I charged people for taking photos lol, might have gone part of the way to pay for the beer I imbibed!

Made some new friends which is what I love about cars, they can do that, no snobbery, no Manufacturers bias's, just people that love cars and perhaps some new devotees infected with panel van fever.
    Last edited by Blocker; 02-02-2014 at 01:15 PM.

One thing I really miss about not living in Brisbane anymore is the Toowoomba swap, always a great weekend. Did they have it at the show grounds again? A few years ago they had it on a property out the other side of Toowoomba and it was too hot and dusty on the Saturday and it rained that night turning it into a boggy quagmire. Showgrounds are much better.

good to hear you had a great time and met other Sandman enthusiasts....
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Flamenco_not_Flamingo
    G'day Absinth and thanks,

Yep, at the showgrounds mate, has been there for some years now, previously at the Farmfest site and yes, the swap meet seemed to be a drought breaker every time it was at that those grounds lol.

Had a great day at the Toowoomba Swap. Bought 2 GTS guards off micks_sandman. He also introduced me and my wife to Flamenco_not_flamingo. It was good to put faces to names on the forum. Thanks for the kind words Flamenco. At one time there were 3 Micks talking to each other. Not long after I picked up another genuine GTS guard in mint condition. To top everything off my wife sat at our site and sold heaps of stuff for me. I think I'll bring her again next year.

I didn't see you guys but I didn't go till Saturday arvo there was some not bad stuff there plenty of ford gear tho

Great to see the two Sandman's sitting together. Thanks for sharing the picture and story. Great stuff

Flamenco_not_Flamingo
    Thanks Innuendo, was fun.

Tonka, we will be back in the same spot again next year, near gate 5, part pick up, come over and say g'day. Also, it's a good spot if you buy stuff to leave there and come back later to collect.
    Last edited by Flamenco_not_Flamingo; 02-02-2014 at 05:42 PM. Reason: cut done on short responses

Thanks it was my first swap meet I've been to but defently be back next year with plenty of money

Sandman Driver
    Yeh a top weekend had by all great to meet Buick and his wife,(loved his story with the HQ) great to catch up with Duc1991 & his lovely wife again, Mick(Duc) you now know that 3 Micks make a right No all jokes aside it was windy as all get out, but I sold some gear and had some fun. Met some great folk and flew the Sandman Flag !!! Make sure you call on us next year and say Hi...

Thread Information