Thread: Rares vs original

Rares vs original

http://www.rarespares.net.au/rarespa...product=GS1003

Officially endorsed by GMH under the Holden Restoration Parts by Rare Spares program to be as close to original specification as possible.

Yep.... They are so close to original specs people would rather pay more than twice the price of a repro to get an original part.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOLDEN-HJ...-/231143067597

Seems most parts I buy for the HJ from Rare Spares are either poor reproductions or have to be modified to fit properly. The 4sp shifter surround and console lid I got are so incorrect I ended up sourcing good used originals... The shift pattern decal for the lid besides being the wrong print font was too large for the original lid and had to be trimmed to fit..... If you want to put an original woodgrain insert or black metal insert into a Rares lid you will have to cut them to fit.

I ordered a tailgate, 5.0L air cleaner decal, steering wheel Allen bolts and a dealer decal from Rares online... Took a month to come from Wagga Wagga to Parkes and the dealer decal is on back order.... Ok.. I ordered and paid on 24th Dec and it arrived on 24th Jan.... So a little leeway for the Xmas break....

Aircleaner decal has a cream outline?? Should be white... The heat and oil from the engine bay discolours them over time.

The tailgate is one of the new limited number of original thickness metal tailgates..... On inspection of it when it arrived I am quite happy with it... It is much stronger like the originals and has the stiffener and reinforcing plates in it.. Need to cut out the top sections and weld them up but if it fits well that is a minor thing. However... These are great for van owners as they have the holes punched for the rubber seal... Not so good for ute owners having to weld up all those holes..... Or just do what a restoration shop on the Gold Coast did and fit the seal on a ute....

If your van tailgate is rusted or dented badly I'd be grabbing one of these before they are sold out??? I really don't understand the mentality of these as a limited run?
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Sean. What dealer one did you need? I should have it.

Cruiser
    If you bought the entire console (Rares complete unit), would it be better as a whole that fits, or would you just end up with an average and expensive waste?

Quote Originally Posted by stickthis View Post
    Sean. What dealer one did you need? I should have it.
    this one Jason...

was also after this one

I'll be looking for some HJ Sandman decals from you also once I make up my mind on whether to go black or white.

Quote Originally Posted by Dago
    If you bought the entire console (Rares complete unit), would it be better as a whole that fits, or would you just end up with an average and expensive waste?
    Rares consoles are HX and HZ only.... Not correct at all for HJ. Good original consoles can still be had for a lot less than a repro one for HX and HZ, I much prefer original over repro where possible unless the reproduction item is identical to an original as is the case with the shifter knobs.
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

I just had an emailed newsletter from Rares letting us know new products, one of them being $190 for chrome scuff plates for utes and vans which we couldn't buy 2 months ago when we needed, so we bought a full set which they had in their special chrome glass case in the doorway at Prospect, which had been chromed for a car. The other one being bumperettes, which are quite expensive to buy without dents, and then you generally need to have these chromed, these are $390.01. We paid more than that for chromed exchange ones. At least rares are having a go at making difficult to find parts. Now we would just love some tail light surrounds Rares
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Have you been able to hold/inspect any of the bumperettes Jen? Wondered what the quality (the weight of the steel when compared to the originals and the finish of the chrome) was like? Luckily enough they have been approved by the Minister for the Interior and Itinerary Management (she said "buy 'em") but wondered what they were actually like before sticking my hand in my pocket and forking out?
    Nunc est bibendum...

Are good bumperettes hard to find or rare

I got that same email.
    Regarding the bumperettes, it does say they are triple plated, which when I worked in the business meant: copper, nickel, chrome. So at least they aren't just chrome straight over steel like many bicycle parts I've been buying lately are (Chinese). These things are rusting before I can sell them!
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    Are good bumperettes hard to find or rare
    Mine are a little dented and the odd small scratch on them. Am yet to find a really good pair at a swap or on ebay that the seller doesn't want 100 bucks each. Supply and demand over here I guess Gene!
    Nunc est bibendum...

Thread Information