Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HZ Van Restoration

Sandman Guru
    Lots in WB Statesman, VC-VK (black in VK but WB used the same engine) and Bedford (although painted silver).

Banned
    No every Statesman had one and they were in VH Commodore as well. Just we're not optional for Joe Average in WB commercials.

Leadfoot
    I have a QT engine that came out of a Bedford, painted the standard red but its a 77, so did they change colour for the later engines only? I think I read somewhere they are a turbo pattern. Interesting they have the same engine number as the car type without any prefix.

Banned
    No it's meant to be red. Yes 253 out of a Bedford has a turbo pattern so they are a bit unique. A Bedford after 1980 would have had a blue motor.

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    No it's meant to be red. Yes 253 out of a Bedford has a turbo pattern so they are a bit unique. A Bedford after 1980 would have had a blue motor.
    QT is 308 James. Never heard of a 253 with turbo pattern, that would be one gutless engine with a T400 behind it....
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Sandman Guru
    The Bedford 4.2 and 5.0 litre engines were both low comp, prefixes were BS and BV respectively. Both had a 2 barrel rochester carb with governer (with adapter for 4BBL valley) and HEI dizzy. They wete really blue motors although introduced in '78/9, but were painted silver. They wete Chev pattern not for the TH400 but for the Eaton 4and 5spd roadranger boxes. They were used to replace the Chev 250 and 292 when I think emissions laws also killed those engines in C20/C30 (which got a 350 SBC). Although it seems a strange place to introduce the blue engine it was only the top end, as by that time all red 4.2/5.0 were 'blue' bottom ends.

Banned
    Yeah they had them in Bedfords Absinth. I had one out of a Bedford here. The cam had about 5 lobes worn off it from slow running.
    They may have been Eaton gearboxes but a road ranger has at least two ratios. They start with a basic 5 speed and then have a second ratio of 4 or 5 gears and then they can have another splitter in the top ratio of gears.
    Most IH trucks had either a 4 or 5 speed Eaton in them as well. They are not such a good gearbox.

Leadfoot
    So on that basis Byron, the motor I have must be a car engine because it is definitely QT with a quadrajet carb. Picked it up from a scrap dealer with truck gearbox still attached so i assumed it was original.

Banned
    These engines went into stuff like Toyota Dynas as a conversions through the 80's and 90's. It could have been in anything. Even a Hilux.

Sandman Guru
    Yes, cannot be from a Bedford.

I think the Bedford trucks also had 2 speed diffs in some cases. I have an order procedure and parts catalogue here somewhere for them.

Thread Information