Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel filling behind the RHS taillight

Fuel filling behind the RHS taillight

Hi Innuendo, just following on from last nights conversation. I have loaded here the picture i took of a HZ station wagon with the fuel cap installed behind the tail light. I understand the wagon fuel tank is down the back so this idea should work well for the wagon. I am determined to try it on the panel van, even though i know there will be a lengthy run to the mid mounted fuel tank. The option in the picture used a wiper motor and dash mounted switch to actuate the tail light open and then closed. The round tube carried the electrical wiring internally and it was really accurate when it returned closed, you couldn't tell that the light wasn't fixed in place like normal. It worked a treat when i saw it and i couldn't help but think that i would do a Homer Simpson with this.....bed goes up, bed goes down, bed goes......

20130702_180920.jpg

Cruiser
    That would be nice , I think you could find a tank to go in the back centre but you would lose your spare thought about doing this to the wife's ek van I think Chevys had something similar or maybe it was a custom thing they where doing in the states . A ute would be ok you could carry the spare in the tray

Cruiser
    That looks like a gas filler so it doesn't matter where it is, if you want a fuel one i don't think you would get the fall over the rear wheel to go into an original tank, but it's a really cool idea.

The late 50's Chev's had them behind the tail light, not 100% sure on which one's though

Is it just me, because my first thought is petrol vapors and electrical items.
    ****they are not friends****

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by hxbunny View Post
    That looks like a gas filler so it doesn't matter where it is, if you want a fuel one i don't think you would get the fall over the rear wheel to go into an original tank, but it's a really cool idea.

The late 50's Chev's had them behind the tail light, not 100% sure on which one's though
    My '57 Chev had the fuel filler behind the LH fin garnish. The stainless garnish above the tail-light hinges open to allow you to get to the fuel filler. Typical of US cars to have a filler point at the rear.

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgu...ed=0CDwQ9QEwAg

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgu...ed=0CEAQ9QEwBA

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
    Is it just me, because my first thought is petrol vapors and electrical items.
    ****they are not friends****
    No I had the same thought.

If that is a gas filler.... why wouldn't you put a fold down number plate holder and put it behind there on a van. A petrol one is much harder.

Mauser
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

Hi All

This was a petrol only HZ wagon so it definitely needed height for fall. Good point about electricity though, i hadn't thought of that. I might have to make the tail light intrinsically safe.

I don't think it's a LPG filler as some have suggested. It appears to have a locking petrol cap and everything has been sprayed (poorly) black.

I did one of these a long time ago for a mate and we had the taillight pop out on a small gas strut and then tilted down about 30°. This was done on a HG Wagon.

As I mentioned last night in the shout box the vapours and the electrical worry me. But I'm sure it can be overcome with some smart thinking. The whole concept is very cool on a custom and I encourage you to live the dream. Just don't ruin a rare desirable Sandman.

Led lights would be the best way to over come that problem

Thread Information