Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I have the original 308 block, looking for new owner of Mint Julep HJ Sandman

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Learner Driver

I have the original 308 block, looking for new owner of Mint Julep HJ Sandman

Hi guys, below is a copy of a posting i made in "i know its a long shot, but does anyone have my old motor" though someone in the HJ section may know the person i sold the car to, and could help them get the original motor back.

G'Day everyone - i am posting a bit in the reverse of the idea of this thread - i have an original 308 from my old Sandman that i sold about ten years ago. (for the second time, after i sold it - then bought it back again - i dare say i would buy it back again, always regret selling it!!!)
    I still have the original 308 block, and i am assuming it is worth far more in the old car to match up all the numbers than it is sitting in my yard!
    It is a 308 from an Mint Jelup HJ Sandman van i sold in Sydney back in May of 2004 to a middle aged bloke who i think was from the Kempsey area?
    I have seen pictures of the van on a few forums so i am pretty sure it is still getting around, i sold it with factory rear windows, however i am pretty sure these were welded over by the new owner, and maybe it had a front air dam from a HX/HZ added - maybe!
    Anyone who thinks they know the new owner could PM me details and ill if they want it i could arrange for them to pick the block up.
    Cheers,

Learner Driver
    When i sold it the registration plate was XHG 283 (NSW) if that helps!!

According to NSW RMS/RTA the Vans registration expired on 08/12/2011 and the registration has been canceled.
    Green 1976 HJ Holden Panel Van. I also note the GVM is listed at a Sandman weight of 1950. Chassis number ended in ****894M so it was a Dandenong build.

Sandman Guru
    If you send me the engine number i'll see if I can find it. Was it originally auto? Air or Steer or LSD? Standard rear axle ratio? Do you know what month '76 build it was?

Learner Driver
    Yeah - i saw it has been de-registered in 2011, poor thing, hopefully for another re-build, not as it was ran into a tree!
    It was a factory 308, M21 and 3.36 diff - i have just had a dig through my old "Sandman" file for the original invoice and other paperwork i had for the car, but i must have handed it over when i sold it.
    Ill grab the engine number off the block - i am positive i have checked it about 15 years ago when i bought the van (the first time!!), and all the numbers defiantly matched up.
    It may have gone to Crescent Head, or Kempsey, somewhere on the mid north coast of NSW - ill dig up a picture of it when i can.

Sandman Guru
    Mint Julip was only around from late 4/76 through to the end of HJ in 6/76. And Dandenong didn't make all that many HJ's. So given the engine number I may be able to locate it if you don't have the VIN number written down for it.

Learner Driver
    Hey mate. If I got you the engine number for this van would you be able to track it down? I would be very interested in buying it back if at all possible, if not sell the owner the engine.

Bump... ?

Was trying to link this to other post, but didn't happen!
    Last edited by maxsandman; 06-01-2022 at 08:53 PM.

Learner Driver
    Yep that’s the van. The other fella who posted this originally is a good mate. I bought it off him, he bought it back then he sold it. I have the engine at my place.

Thread Information