Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Stunning van spotted at Maryborough macca's victoria

that will be a rocket ship if you're talking telephone numbers for the heads alone!
    BQZ

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier 73 View Post
    Wouldnt waste money on VN heads in a van unless you want 500HP there really isnt nothing wrong with cast heads
    they would be fine on a 308
    Absolutely!

Heads are nowhere near as important on a blown motor, as flow is determined by the pressure from the blower, not the suction from a piston.

Every blown motor I've built has had fairly stock heads with strong springs. The early 308 heads work fine with a bit of a tidy up and good springs and maybe roller rockers. Spend your money on good pistons and rods.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Quote Originally Posted by Alien DNA View Post
    Jesus theyre expensive Dave!!!! For 3K i can get a set of AFR heads for my my BBC!!!! And the power increase with AFR heads is mighty impressive. Sadly AFR dont do Holden style heads
    The price you saw there (I am assuming it was the correct one as they've conveniently now taken the site down for maint) is for a pair. I'm very aware (and a point I've made in previous posts/threads) of how good price wise folks building US based Chev and Ford stuff have it when compared to our "orphan" local cars and engines. It "costs" to buy Australian designed and made for a local engine it is that simple. You see, I like my local stuff and the only way to keep local business going is to support them, so the cost of it all is my choice.

When viewed in context of getting a pair of cast iron heads re-valved out to those sizes (if you could) and portwork to match then these cost circa the same amount anyway, standard - straight out of the box and I don't have to worry about if the porter was half a mm of striking water... Besides, alloy heads cope much better thermally (they dissipate the heat more readily into the coolant thus providing a greater margin on detonation) with the mid-levels of boost I'm proposing to cram down this things throat from both turbos.

I had thought of going the easy way with a blown motor through the bonnet (would have been much cheaper), but I don't want mountains of polished alloy screaming "look at me" through the bonnet. I actually want to be able to drive it in heavy traffic and not worry I'll miss something on the other side of the bug catcher. Been there, done that already years ago, lucky I never collected anyone in the blindspot and it was a bit too cranky to drive in traffic anyway.

Voms, the issue will be getting the power down, so it will be getting piggy back tunes to control boost levels to suit what is going on at the time. Turbo designs have changed massively in the last couple of years which has changed the power delivery and spread of turbocharged engines. I'm yet to decide what exact sizes or if I'll go twin scroll or variable vane or a combination of both. Either way I don't have a huge amount of room to play with down the back of the block, but both units will fit down there if I have done my homework. I'll just have to work the ducting, heat shielding and accept that I will have long piping to fill with pressure.

If I can get this to work, I'll be stoked. If I can't I wont lose sleep over it, but either way I'm still going to end-up with a nice stroker engine either way.
    Last edited by Taily; 28-04-2014 at 10:06 AM.
    Nunc est bibendum...

Quote Originally Posted by damienengland View Post
    Things seem not too bad down here, I remember when i lived in WA, blowers were banned anywhere near the road. You mention VN heads, what's the advantage?
    Hi mate, all the above information is correct and applicable. But the only reason I said VN heads is because these are the only heads he makes the blower manifold to suit. Not red or Blue heads. Which is the reason why I have still held off buying one. I badly want one but is more then a manifold change now. You have to change cam, lifters Extractors and Heads. Goes from $1200 to $5000 real quick. Reason why he don't make them for early heads " I just don't".

go the twin scroll!!!

Ive seen a VZ SS ute (LS1) with twins and the thing couldn't keep still in 2nd gear with half throttle

people were snapping their necks looking at it when it drove past. big time sleeper at a glance
    BQZ

Quote Originally Posted by Taily View Post
    The price you saw there (I am assuming it was the correct one as they've conveniently now taken the site down for maint) is for a pair. I'm very aware (and a point I've made in previous posts/threads) of how good price wise folks building US based Chev and Ford stuff have it when compared to our "orphan" local cars and engines. It "costs" to buy Australian designed and made for a local engine it is that simple. You see, I like my local stuff and the only way to keep local business going is to support them, so the cost of it all is my choice.
    I like the way you think good sir

Thread Information