Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Panelvan nationals at Bathurst...exact dates

2015 Panelvan nationals at Bathurst...exact dates

Hi guys. I saw an ad On Facebook for the 2015 Australian Panelvan nationals held at Bathurst... I just wanna know when exactly it is on as there are a few mates and I who are dragging a few Panelvans back from the edge of extinction and this could be a great motivation factor to get it completed by this date.....below is the attached 'poster'
    Attached Images Attached Images

Van nationals are always on at Easter so next year they are 3rd April through till 6th 2015.
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Quote Originally Posted by lcgtr1970 View Post
    Hi guys. I saw an ad On Facebook for the 2015 Australian Panelvan nationals held at Bathurst... I just wanna know when exactly it is on as there are a few mates and I who are dragging a few Panelvans back from the edge of extinction and this could be a great motivation factor to get it completed by this date.....below is the attached 'poster'
    http://www.vanning.org.au/

I found the above website.
    It is saying Easter 2015.
    Hope that helps

Thanks guys. Hopefully see you there

Sandman Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by lcgtr1970 View Post
    Great info, nice to know so early, well its a big one, 40th anniversary after all, looking forward to fun times.

Agreed, lots of notice, and not too far away. Definitely making my way there next year.

So is it at Mt Panorama? Camping on site?

This is too good to miss, my van WILL be ready.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

This is too good to miss, my van WILL be ready.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post
    Camping and Show is at Bathurst Showground. We had a trial run last year with the Bathurst Van Meet.

Sandman Driver
    This does look awesome, I'm interested for sure, Ill try and get one of my vans ready.

But.... what about Race day?!! 2016??

I have no intention to hijack the thread, (I'm sure I wont), but this is a bit similar to an idea I was gonna float at some stage soon, so now seems like as good a time as any. My idea will get upsurged by this awsome sounding vanfest (lol - all good) but I have been musing.. The idea I had I thought would need decent money to do it, so it works on the idea of creating a multi car V8 Sandman Radio paying for it.

So what am I on about?

The idea/dream I had was basically the ultimate Sandman tour - to pay for it would need television and radio sponsorship, fleet insurance, the whole works, ending up with 2 cruise laps of the Bathurst Track on Race weekend 2016 with as many Sandmans and Ford vans as we can get (to salute the last year of Holden and Ford Manufacturing in Australia). The TV footage would be sensational.

I reckon, if we backed 8 or so Sandman vans with big sound systems up to each other in an eight pointed star, all tuned to the same station and the station could claim it as Sandman Radio, and played a selection of whatever for the occasion, - Acca Daccas got to be in there of course - a national radio station would pay up big for the opportunity - especially if it was done in several places and nationally coordinated at several half day car shows the radio network could claim as their own.

Sandman vehicles could gather at the sites of the Adelaide, Melbourne, (ex) Sydney and (ex) Brisbane plants (for the cameras and a news story) and travel in basic loose convoys with TV camera and journo support (personal choices for drive how they want to travel, in or out of convoy) to drive from all over the county arriving for the 2016 Bathurst Race. (Which will be the last Bathurst Race that Holden and Ford produce cars in Australia.) The cars would leave in fleets, probably in the evening and timed so the weather/traffic/news Helicopters that would be normally in the air at that time anyway, can easily follow the cars in convoy out of Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane for the first 30 ks or so.

Could easy do something like each convoy would gather together for a one day stop at a major regional city, have a half day car show for the local radio station managed by a national commercial network and do the V8 Sandman radio thing, this would provides the sponsorship money for insurance, tyres, perhaps some parts.

The idea is to be part of the show at the Bathurst Race 2016. Have a convoy salute lap of as many Sandman vans (and the Fords and Vals as well if they wanna join in..) 2 laps around the track at gentle cruise speed for television some time on Race weekend 2016. And offer the cars to be on show - camped in the field for part of the weekend.

It would need CAMS approval of course, and almost certainly track inspections for leaks etc. Channel seven could follow each group and report night by night on the drive on the way there as a special on their current affairs show - and they'd be able to increase TV viewing at Bathurst too... I wonder if they might just say yes. Maybe the 2015 van meet could be an event that inspires the credibility of attempting something like this.

OK so am I mad? Probably, but, seeing as I have been thinking about proposing this, and now this thread is talking Bathurst, I'm thouight its time to float the idea - I reckon it would be sooooooo much cool, and I think, its probably do-able, at a stretch - heaps of issues sure, heaps of work sure, it will need that much time to plan it after all.

Involving TV and radio should create enough dosh to get the cars there and on the track under insurance, I reckon, and, cleaned up for the track..... um, I havent asked CAMS yet though. OK... Im a nutcase.
    Last edited by SLR_dave; 23-04-2014 at 05:06 AM.

Thread Information