Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: vintage air below Stato dash

Banned
    Fair enough.

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by utevanwgn View Post
    All taken in good humor but the drier is in the high pressure line and in my experience it does not get cold I may be wrong but I haven't had water condense on it.
    I agree, the receiver drier should always be at ambient temperature or higher. It is positioned on the high pressure side of the system, before the TX valve in the circuit.

If the receiver drier condenses moisture on its case, then it has an internal blockage.

For the record, I've been working on car air-conditioning since 1973.

308mate phoned me at work today & we tossed around a few ideas, regarding compressor mountings & evaporator types.

Dr Terry

Banned
    To be at ambient temp it can't be in the cab where it's cooled to below ambient temp.
    True if it's on the high pressure side it shouldn't be getting cold.
    Last edited by wbute; 08-05-2014 at 09:28 PM.

What about jamming the cabin portion of a late model vehicle up under the dash? I've got ton of complete cars that cost bugger all with nice working heater/air con. Anyone done it/seen it done.

Leadfoot
    I ve tried a few times and the only time I was successful was when I transplanted the entire dash from a 1980 Mazda 626 into a 1969 Mazda. 1500.
    Im not saying its not possible but there is usually some problem with the size shape or the access to the pluming . and working around those problems is not cost effective .

Heres a photo of the alternator / power steering bracket for the drivers side of the holden V8.
    This setup uses a v6 commodore power steering pump and remote reservoir.

DCP01523.jpg

And here a photo with a bracket installed

DCP00865.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Heres a photo of the alternator / power steering bracket for the drivers side of the holden V8.

DCP01523.jpg

DCP00865.jpg

Cruiser
    That mount kit looks OK. There is very little else on the market today which would do the job.

All the companies which used to manufacture these type of these kits, have now closed down.

Dr Terry

Only thing is Dr Terry, it requires the use of a v6 power steer. No biggie but I like the V8 commodore.
    Did you say you had a bracket that allowed the alternator to fit under the V8 power steering pump on the drivers side?

I pulled out the WB evaporator & fan that mounts on the firewall today. Its in pretty good shape. I've been thinking that it's far more convenient than some sort of custom in cab set up. Also a few people i've spoken to have said you can't go past it when its all set up correctly. So i've pulled it all apart to clean it all up & paint it up...see how it comes out.

If I do go this way, Ill still need a compressor & a condenser. I was thinking one of those Sanden 4 eared 508 compressors... I suppose the rule of thumb is to get the biggest condenser that will fit...?

Leadfoot
    Hi again.
    Just one word of caution If you are looking at investing money or time in the factory system just make sure you can get spare parts (there is nothing wrong with the factory setup but I could not find replacement valves etc.
    But Dr terry seems to have things covered.
    Cheers

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by 308mate View Post

DCP01523.jpg

DCP00865.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

DCP01523.jpg

DCP00865.jpg
    So does their kit give you an a/c bracket also for the other side or did you make your own and what was there price like , I've heard their quality is sometimes ordinary.

Thread Information