Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake calliper replacement for rear end.

Brake calliper replacement for rear end.

Hi everyone.

My van is a HJ and at the moment is sporting a HZ Statesman disc brake diff. I am looking for replacement callipers for the rear only and it is seemingly impossible to locate any.

Any advice an where to locate a new set, (will look at reconditioned), for each side would be a great help. From the info I have got while doing the ring around, no new or even N.O.S is available.

Any alternative I am happy to look at. I have heard Girlock callipers will fit but which ones I need, I do not know.

Thanks

John.

Sandman Guru
    You have to find HZ or WB rear calipers or rebuild yours. Early UC and A9X are the same basic thing too. These have an inbuilt handbrake mech that normal calipers won't. XB-XE? had a very similar caliper and you might find some bits to rebuild yours on one of these. In all honesty the simplest way to fix it is to remove the disc brakes and replace the axles with drum brake axles and rear backing plates/drums.

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    You have to find HZ or WB rear calipers or rebuild yours. Early UC and A9X are the same basic thing too. These have an inbuilt handbrake mech that normal calipers won't. XB-XE? had a very similar caliper and you might find some bits to rebuild yours on one of these. In all honesty the simplest way to fix it is to remove the disc brakes and replace the axles with drum brake axles and rear backing plates/drums.
    HZ rear calipers are different to WB, but the same as A9X, & the UC is very similar to HZ also, but made for a narrower disc rotor. The WB are different in the plumbing connection.

I would just get them overhauled. Where are you located ?

Dr Terry

Thanks for the info H.K and Dr Terry.

I have a disc brake diff here with a low ratio. I could swap it back.

Dr. Terry I am in Maitland.

Leadfoot
    I have to ask why your looking for replacements. They usually don't bugger up. There is a trick tho because of the Hand brake mec the pistons have to be wound back in when replacing pads . Sounds simple but catches folks out all the time. so if your looking for replacements because the pistons wont push back try turning them. Ive seen a lot destroyed by dudes trying to hammer them back in.
    Hammer the only tool a good mechanic needs.

Quote Originally Posted by utevanwgn View Post
    I have to ask why your looking for replacements. They usually don't bugger up. There is a trick tho because of the Hand brake mec the pistons have to be wound back in when replacing pads . Sounds simple but catches folks out all the time. so if your looking for replacements because the pistons wont push back try turning them. Ive seen a lot destroyed by dudes trying to hammer them back in.
    Hammer the only tool a good mechanic needs.
    The right hand pad is way down and scoring the disc on the outer edge about 20mm. Left hand pad has lots of meat still left on it. Disc O.K.
    Pulled the wheels today. Brakes work fine, no leaking pistons.

I was going to put my callipers away as spares and get new ones as I heard there are problems with these sometimes when replacing pads.
    I have replaced the pads before and have not had a drama, but when I was doing the ring around today some people reeled in horror at the thought of handling these callipers.

Anyway, found an old hand at brakes and he is confident there is not a drama. I was going to do it myself but for the money he charges, not really worth me doing it as the discs need machining anyway.

Booked in for next week, I will check with him to see what may be causing the original problem.

utevanwgn, thanks for info on the piston/handbrake trick.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    Great info to know, thanks for that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
    HZ rear calipers are different to WB, but the same as A9X, & the UC is very similar to HZ also, but made for a narrower disc rotor. The WB are different in the plumbing connection.

I would just get them overhauled. Where are you located ?

Dr Terry
    Thanks for the info, another good one to know.

Good mate, I will keep that in mind.

Just doing abit of reading through the threads and noticed this by HK

. In all honesty the simplest way to fix it is to remove the disc brakes and replace the axles with drum brake axles and rear backing plates/drums.

Drum brake axle's & disc brake axle's are the same, They run different axle seal's, retainers and disc has a spacer,also runs slightly longer wheel studs..
    Regards
    Neil & Cherone

Sandman Guru
    No they are not the same, HZ disc brake axles are shorter by approx. the thickness of the disc. The bearing is machined further into the collar (by the same amount) and the overall length is shorter. The end effect is when the discs are on the measurement between the wheel mounting faces is the same for both disc and drum brake vehicles.

Also the disc brake axles has a smaller flange diameter, the disc won't fit over a drum brake axle.

Wheel studs are longer (again by the extra thickness of the disc).

Ok then
    I was always under the impression that they where all the same
    Regards
    Neil & Cherone

Thread Information