Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIFFERENTIALS..or diffs

Sandman Guru
    Not just utes and vans for 3.9:1. Optional on most HK-HQ.

Also might want to note all tonners have the same diff with 3.36, 3.55 or 4.44 ratios.
    And that coupes are the same as sedan/wagon.
    And 350 HQ diffs have tonner yokes.

Great thread BTW. Another similar on disc brake diff differences?
    Last edited by HK1837; 30-09-2011 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Add ons

P Plater
    Pull the inspection plate and my sedan 10 bolt that is modified to fit my van must have had the centre changed as well as it is a 3.08 centre and not 2.60 2.78 which are usually a car type ratio

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    Not just utes and vans for 3.9:1. Optional on most HK-HQ.

Also might want to note all tonners have the same diff with 3.36, 3.55 or 4.44 ratios.
    And that coupes are the same as sedan/wagon.
    And 350 HQ diffs have tonner yokes.

Great thread BTW. Another similar on disc brake diff differences?
    hahahaha...as byron has said we can expand some more..how stupid of me not to include coupe diffs as the same as sedan wagon and statesman..

also as byron has said the hq 350 powered cars ran a large 10 bolt but they ran the 1 tonner pinnion yoke..

byron feel free to add what ever i may have missed..too much goin on in this old head at times,,

as for disc brake diff differences...........................not goin there...

--- Updated ---

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy View Post
    Pull the inspection plate and my sedan 10 bolt that is modified to fit my van must have had the centre changed as well as it is a 3.08 centre and not 2.60 2.78 which are usually a car type ratio
    gypsy...statesmans with 308 engines were usually 2.78 hq to hz and wb statesmans were more common with 2.60 but it was optional from hq but very rarely seen..

3.08 3.36 3.55 were commonly seen in sedans depending on what people optioned with what gearboxes etc...if someone has said to you that most sedans/cars/wagons were 2.60 and 2.78 they have not been given the correct information..

HK 1837, i think the early ones from humpy to EJ were actually 3.89 stamped crownwheel. then later they were stamped 3.90 (i mostly pulled them out of 4 cyl toranas, mainly LX sunbirds.)

greg have you got a pic of the holden banjo with 2 longer bolts at the bottom for 2.78 / 3.08? As you know, always a good thing to look fo when buying rollers / cars to wreck with GU4 on ID tag and 2 longer bolts underneath cause it means $250 for the 3.08 centre.

the 2.6 diff was standard on the WB statesman, and thats the only place i have ever found them
    Last edited by adam perth; 02-10-2011 at 01:17 AM.
    "All correspondence must bear these numbers"

Banned
    My brothers wb stato that we wrecked had a 3.08 standard. It got up and flew around town for such a big car!

P Plater
    There are pictures showing the 2.78 + 3.08 centers as compared to the rest here Adam
    http://gallery.oldholden.com/HQ_SS/Tech/Diffs/
    Also pictures showing the Salisbury disc brake axles verse the std axles.
    Pictures showing the internals of a Salisbury LSD and a Borg warner LSD and a open wheeler banjo.
    Pictures of a few of the large Salisbury housings etc.
    Oz if you ever want to use any of my pictures I have spread around the net feel free to do so.
    Cheers Paul.

Cruiser
    This is probably a gumby question to some but can you put the LSD centre out of a WB salisbury into a HX salisbury, i know they are different sizes physically but are the planetary, internal, gears interchangable

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by adam perth View Post
    HK 1837, i think the early ones from humpy to EJ were actually 3.89 stamped crownwheel. then later they were stamped 3.90 (i mostly pulled them out of 4 cyl toranas, mainly LX sunbirds.)

greg have you got a pic of the holden banjo with 2 longer bolts at the bottom for 2.78 / 3.08? As you know, always a good thing to look fo when buying rollers / cars to wreck with GU4 on ID tag and 2 longer bolts underneath cause it means $250 for the 3.08 centre.

the 2.6 diff was standard on the WB statesman, and thats the only place i have ever found them
    From memory 2.78 Salisbury was dumped late in HJ as it was too noisy. 2.60 was then used from that time instead. I'll find the document later today that states it (features manual).

--- Updated ---

Quote Originally Posted by hxbunny View Post
    This is probably a gumby question to some but can you put the LSD centre out of a WB salisbury into a HX salisbury, i know they are different sizes physically but are the planetary, internal, gears interchangable
    Yes you can use the WB large salisbury internals in a HQ-HZ salisbury. Just remember that there are 2 x different hemispheres theough (LSD and not LSD aside). 2.6 and 2.78 share a hemisphere and 3.08, 3.36, 3.55, (3.9) and 4.44 share a hemisphere. So you can't use a WB 2.6 hemisphere with 3.08 gears for example. You must use 2.6 or 2.78 gears on it.

Cruiser
    Yes you can use the WB large salisbury internals in a HQ-HZ salisbury. Just remember that there are 2 x different hemispheres theough (LSD and not LSD aside). 2.6 and 2.78 share a hemisphere and 3.08, 3.36, 3.55, (3.9) and 4.44 share a hemisphere. So you can't use a WB 2.6 hemisphere with 3.08 gears for example. You must use 2.6 or 2.78 gears on it.[/QUOTE]

Ive got a 3.55 out of a WB which is limited slip and a 3.08 HX single spinner and wanted to put the LSD components into the 3.08 diff if possible

Sandman Guru
    Yes you can do that IF the WB 3.55 LSD is a large salisbury, not a small one. Just get a diff shop to do it for you.

--- Updated ---

On the 2.60:1 thing, HX features manual dated 9/75 (updated 9/76) lists 2.6:1 as economy diff for 253 or 308 auto sedan, wagon, GTS or Statesman. Also listed as economy option for L31 M41 ute and va. 2.60:1 with 39:15 teeth listed on spec page dated 12/75.

I also have a hand marked up 1/74 version of the HJ features manual that has 2.78 crossed out all through it and replaced by 2.6 for a later revision. It appears at least in 4/75 the 2.78 was stilla round. There is also a revision of the production option availability document which shows G70 (2.6) added in 6/75 but there is a handwritten note date 5/76 staing next to "general revision" noting base axle for Statesman "was GU7". It also says the 2.7":1 was not available with XT4 (ADR27A) so I deduce from that 2.78 phased out near the end of HJ with 2.6 becoming standard on HJ Statesman a little earlier in 1976.

Thread Information