Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIFFERENTIALS..or diffs

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post

It also says the 2.7":1 was not available with XT4 (ADR27A) so I deduce from that 2.78 phased out near the end of HJ with 2.6 becoming standard on HJ Statesman a little earlier in 1976.
    and this is where the books are wrong from hands on experience byron...i have never wrecked any hj hx hz statemans that have had a 2.60 diff...always 2.78 or 3.08 and as you know i have wrecked a hell of a lot just in the last 20 years..
    there is no way that so many original statesmans would have had the diffs changed from 2.6 to 2.78..
    i have wrecked a couple of wb statesamns with 3.08 but never any with 2.78..always 2.60.

Sandman Guru
    I've seen them in HX and HZ, however I think they have always had GU7 on the tag. HZ and VB were the same when TH350 replaced TH400, ie M41 remained. Features manuals won't be wrong (they can't be), BUT sometimes there are plant to plant variations. So I wonder if Pagewood used up an oversupply of 2.78 gears? This is where most HX and HZ Statesmans came from.

That was good reading I learnt something out of that. Two question one is what does the ears for what do hey do? And two is can the internals on a banjo be swaped as some housing need two long bolts down the bottom and one doesn't

Wow great read but still quite confusing for the novice. Have just picked up a hj ute with a 308 with a ford 9 inch diff and disc brake rear end in it and have noticed quite allot of others have had the same conversion. should I keep it or should I chase up the GV7 diff and axle as I would like to have this as original as possible? My mate was pretty quick to offer me some great money for it and chase be up another diff. What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by seavan View Post
    What would you do?
    That really depends on the car and it's factory specifications.
    The 9" is miles ahead in strength and desirability but it isn't meant to be a factory original Sandman. If the idea it to make it 100% factory the 9" has to go.
    If you are building it for you and "improving" the car for drivability etc then no worries.

Some cars aren't worth putting back to factory spec, others are!

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtonkatoy View Post
    That was good reading I learnt something out of that. Two question one is what does the ears for what do hey do? And two is can the internals on a banjo be swaped as some housing need two long bolts down the bottom and one doesn't
    The ears have bushes fitted in them for sedans /wagons not needed in utes so just solid . The bottom two long bolts are used with a 2.78/3.08 , they have a lager crownwheel ,you remove the studs used on other ratios and use the bolts afaik.

Banned
    The ears are where a sedan diff has mounts to locate the diff. As they are coil spring they need something to stop the diff falling out. So when a sedan diff is modified to fit a ute it needs the locating brackets welded on to mount the leaf springs.

P Plater
    How do I tell if my diff is in good condition? It is not in the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    How do I tell if my diff is in good condition? It is not in the vehicle.
    don;t think you can. most diffs is stuffed with have bearing noise. Pretty sure you'll only know once you're fanging along
    BQZ

Hi All

Can i ask a clarification? My 83 V8 WB panelvan diff is a large 10 bolt Salisbury with solid ears, but when i got my unijoints and tail shaft sorted out, the rear uni caps appear too big to fit the pinion yoke. I can't work out what's gone wrong, any ideas?

Last edited by Alien DNA; 01-06-2018 at 01:25 PM.

Thread Information