Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: DIFFERENTIALS..or diffs

Banned
    One tonner uni joints? They are larger?

Cant remember. But I think WBute is right. Looks like tonner tailshaft and standard pinion yoke.
    Owner (Jason) - STICKTHIS Automotive Decals and Stripes

HX Sandman Panelvan. Mint Julep. Complete Factory Resto.
    HZ Sandman Ute. Saddle Tan Metallic - Customised. Galaxy Blue.
    HZ GTS. Palais White. Next Resto From 99% NOS Parts.
    HSV GTO Coupe - Highly Modified
    VR SS into a VS Supercar Castrol Perkins Ingall 1997 Tribuilte build

One tonner tailshafts could have standard V8 uni's same as V8 cars, utes etc. (more common in 6 cylinder tonners) or larger uni's with caps similar to 9" diff uni's. There is a spicer part number something like 2520 for the tonner ones like in pic. Not good memory!! You can get a adapter uni to fit larger cap back to standard that works well. It looks like a normal uni, but has 2 larger caps & opposite 2 are smaller. I have used these several times without any dramas. Probably easier than changing tailshaft or pinion yoke. Can chase part number if that helps

cheers
    Max

flange looks small. like baby salisbury?? i thought there were 3 sizes. 6cyl, v8 and 1 tonner
    BQZ

"Baby Salisbury" is same pinion yoke as Banjo diffs... there is a 6 cylinder & 8 yoke. These went in all early Commodores with 6 cylinder & 253 (with larger yoke as used in V8 Toranas), the 308 (5 litre) VB-VK Coms got the Salisbury diff similar to HQ-HZ. Also WB utes & vans with 6 cylinder got the baby Salisbury diff with the larger yoke.

cheers
    Max

Try the uni joint that Maxsandman is talking about. It'll save changing the yolk and they work fine.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

The uni joint with the 2 different size caps part number: RUJ 2034. 25.4mm x 28.58mm. Check if that's the measurement. Used these uni's a few years ago when putting a tonner diff into a ute, it may not be stocked, but should be still available somewhere to order

cheers
    Max

Hi All

Thanks for the help. It worked out that the shop fitted 1 tonner uni so they offered to replace it for free.

Cheers

from my experience i have seen the 2.60 ratio in many wb statesmans unless its a tow pack which was a 3.08 ratio
    also have seen a factory standard 1980 hz panelvan 2.60 ratio with a 308 and trimatic .

like many have said it depends on the gearbox that was issued to the car that determines the ratio or dealers option at the time

george

Thread Information