Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HZ Sandman restoration

When I saw a pic of that red interior, I was turned off to comment.....you deserve a beer for fixing that. Set of GTS wheels and you'll have a very cool cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    Hurst is a shifter brand, Hearse is the word you're looking for.
    Sorry my bad to early in the morning for posting

Thanks for the feedback gang, yep a set of nice wheels will bring it all together, can't wait. I think that getting through a damp Tassie winter will be the test, and getting it out for a good bit of summer cruising will be well worth the wait.

I agree with alien dna. a set of gts wheels will really set it off. what a good looking van. I luv to see them coming back to life. well done

When GTS wheels are mentioned, is there just one style of these, the usual ones seen on Sandmans? Are these available from most wheel/tyre shops, or are they a special order type thing?

you will need to trawl through gumtree ebay and the like. Should be able to pick them up for $50-100 each in need of restoration. Probably better off buying a set complete with tyres, new paint and caps for sub $1000 if you can find some
    BQZ

Learner Driver Custom Auto Electrics's Avatar
    Regarding thermo fans.......they are definitely the way to go.
    If you can do some modifications (ie. cut and shape a bit of plastic), use a set of thermo fans off a VX commodore. There is plenty of plastic on them that you can cut to fit nicely to the radiator. I've done it on a Mustang and have a HG Monaro in my workshop which the owner took my advice and fitted a set to.
    Decent wiring and a good thermo switch can make it look the part and keep it reliable. If it is done right, reliability and efficiency are improved.
    If you are going to make it stock/original, that would be the only reason (in my opinion) not to fit thermo fans.

Ill be doing this to my HZ ute when the time comes. I also have a set of the GTS (rallye) rims for mine. A set of those would make your van look the part I reckon.

Are you going to show a picture of the rear end of the van?

Exterior Right Rear.jpg

Here is the rear, had tailgate straightened out and repaint, there will be a full decal set when/if I get around to it, still undecided on the colour combo to go for. Good to hear the thermofan decision was a good one, someone questioned the installation, and they left me wondering...

Cruiser
    I put twin Ford AU thermo fans on my HZ. I also put a Ali radiator and gilmar belt drive. All worked well except the fan drew too much power and on a hot day the alternator didn't keep up so after stalling at the traffic lights it wouldn't start. That's fixed now with a 85amp alt. and the engine runs cool even on days over 40

Learner Driver Custom Auto Electrics's Avatar
    You can get a universal bosch style 120amp alternator that will bolt straight onto a holden or chev motor also

Thread Information