Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HZ Sandman restoration

HZ Sandman restoration

My HZ Sandman restoration is nearly finished, just after some opinions, questions, praise...

I've had the work done by professionals, would love to have the time, space, and skills necessary to do the work myself, but alas, no.

I've had the sunroof removed, and a huge patch of rust cut from above the windscreen. Interior totally replaced, as you can see, I think i've generally done the world a favour by having the red velour pulled out and returned to its original glory.

Also had the engine bay detailed and worked on, runs better, looks better, everyone wins.

Mechanic is installing a thermofan, to replace the cracked, worn & patched one in the pics, so still some improvements to be made. A mate queried the wisdom of the termofan, any opinions?

Next will be some wheels and tyres, and it is sitting pretty high, so may have to be lowered an inch or two. Also a decent exhaust would be nice.

Would appreciate any feedback, ideas etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by willturfdog; 04-06-2014 at 09:11 PM.

Cruiser
    Very nice job so far, i agree the black looks heaps better than the red too.

I am in the same situation where i bought an old car three months ago and was wondering whether i should have put the money on the mortgage or something.

Finally got it rego'd this week and just driving it around town settled everything down, it was a great feeling.

Anyway spending money on the Sandman would be looked at as an investment i reckon.

Cheers Mark

Sandman Driver
    That is a vast improvement on the before product, good onya and enjoy driving that car.

Agree, it looks so much better without that ugly red.

not many cars out there are ligit investments as they cost so much to own/maintain. Think about even something that is rare that will likely rise like HQ Sandman Van. You still need dry storage, mech maint, rego etc etc etc

Nonetheless vehicles are a 'passion' or 'hobby'. Enjoy the ride both in restoration and the finished product.

I took my van out recently and i cant say i got goose pimples... more like grey hair as I can't see out the side. Still a great buzz and turns heads everywhere.

Your van looks fantastic! Great job dude
    Last edited by Vombil; 01-06-2014 at 02:52 AM.
    BQZ

Your van look's great, enjoy your investment. Money well spent.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

If it gave you goose bumps,Yep she was worth it!
    You only live once so enjoy.Money is made to be spent.

Cheers Kiwivan
    It is not about the journey,It is the style we travel in!

We have done three sandmans so far and spent as much money on them as buying a home but that is what we love and both enjoy restoring them. We have the panel and paintwork done professionally but we do the running gear and interior. Going too shows we have met so many nice people it has made it all worthwhile. We are currently on our fourth sandman and this will be the last one. I think if someone was to offer a large amount of $$$ we would sell the red van. But I mean a large amount as it's worth it with orig motor and manuals etc (shed find 3 years ago) none of the others are going to be sold and the yellow van will take us to the cemetery, lol
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

So your final journey will be in a sandman to Jennie and Rod be the coolest hurst ever lol

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier 73 View Post
    So your final journey will be in a sandman to Jennie and Rod be the coolest hurst ever lol
    Hurst is a shifter brand, Hearse is the word you're looking for.

Thread Information