Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 40th Birthday for my HQ sandman

i spoke to a bloke that wanted to pay someone (business) to restore his WB ute from the tip of the roof to the tread on the tyres. every single thing to be recond or replaced. he got 3 quotes. $140,000, 110,000 and one at $90,000. He went with the $90,000. now ponder that for a while. true f$8kin story lads

$72,000 is starting to look like a bargain?? woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    BQZ

Quote Originally Posted by Vombil View Post
    i spoke to a bloke that wanted to pay someone (business) to restore his WB ute from the tip of the roof to the tread on the tyres. every single thing to be recond or replaced. he got 3 quotes. $140,000, 110,000 and one at $90,000. He went with the $90,000. now ponder that for a while. true f$8kin story lads

$72,000 is starting to look like a bargain?? woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Madness like i said a fool and his money

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vombil View Post

Value is not based on the cost of restoration. Otherwise a Lada Niva would suddenly be worth $80000 restored. A cars value comes down to rarity, desirability and condition.

Well mine owes me $50k as it is now, and I haven't touched the engine or gearbox yet.
    Also no work done to the chassis, So add another $10k maybe to that there's $60k
    So far a van that's in the condition the Q is in seems not bad.

As WB said, restoration costs does not equal value. I'd want a car to be a keeper if I was doing a full resto, as I would never expect to get my money back. Still better value for money spent (less of a loss if you have to sell) than buying a new car with depreciation almost guaranteed to be 50% over 3-4 years.

These are funny arguments because every one is right and wrong. Bottom line: its worth what someone else will pay.

I still laugh with a mate who bought an almost original, tidy HT GTS 350 Monaro for $12,500 back in about 2002. He's still got it. I say almost original because it had a ford diff and non original manifold and carby. Paint was good, just polished up a treat. What was funny is, every one at work taking the preverbial because he got ripped off. He thought he did OK, maybe a little high but its what he wanted.

No one was laughing 7 years later when one almost identical sold for $250,000!
    Last edited by sandasharpe; 12-08-2015 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sandasharpe View Post
    These are funny arguments because every one is right and wrong. Bottom line: its worth what someone else will pay.

I still laugh with a mate who bought an almost original, tidy HT GTS 350 Monaro for $12,500 back in about 92. He's still got it. I say almost original because it had a ford diff and non original manifold and carby. Paint was good, just polished up a treat. What was funny is, every one at work taking the preverbial because he got ripped off. He thought he did OK, maybe a little high but its what he wanted.

No one was laughing 7 years later when one almost identical sold for $250,000!
    Spot on - to my way of thinking. Everyone is both right and wrong and the only difference in anyone's stance is just purely down to individual perspective on the subject.

I'm very aware of just how far into my ute my bank balance has been poured - to the tune of over twenty grand (including the engine) and I have done everything myself except the engine build which was a serious 'mates rates' deal. Pretty well everything has either been stripped, blasted, repaired and/or brought back to as near as new as possible and what wasn't able to be fixed was replaced. I'm very lucky (apart from my first trade as a mechanic setting the groundwork for another, totally opposite direction trade after it) in that I was able and in a position to do everything myself. Some of it terrified me at first until I was able to learn the skills I needed to from people well placed to teach me. The paint was one and to be honest with everyone I've had to paint the ute twice because the first lot of paint was clear based and ended up translucent.

I wouldn't wish that experience on anyone, yet at the same time I would... You'll learn a lot about yourself and just what you can do if you try hard enough. That is the bit you cannot put a price on. If this bloke reckons his (absolutely stunning in my eyes!) van is worth $72 grand then that is his price of admission. To me it is steep in dollar value but cheap in satisfaction value.

I get the emotion that goes into a build and it is (in reality) that amount of emotion that sometimes sets a high price. Yet at the same time I've built previous cars that I would (and did) sell cheaply at the drop of a hat as I really wasn't that 'into' that vehicle even though it may have been a pretty rad build at the time.

*I need a rum after that....*
    Nunc est bibendum...

Banned
    Value is purely market driven. Not restoration price driven. Never will be. The two are not connected. If you get your money back good luck to you.
    My argument has no relationship to the price anyone asks for their car. You can ask any price you want. If there are no buyers at that price then you don't get it.

Hi Steve 1975,
    first of all, Great looking van! Secondly I can help with one of your questions. The body serial number stamped on your firewall is specific to Sydney built cars and this number is different to what is on the ID plates. I had lots of questions regarding my HJ sandman Kingswood based ute and I had my questions answered and confirmed the authenticity from Holden Historical services. email Ben on team@holdenhistoricalservices.com.au with all your ID plate details and the firewall body number, engine number and they will confirm the vehicle on the holden register. This will add value to the prospective new buyer knowing its genuine.

regards
    Fred

Yep, if you get even close to what you've put into a car after you've restored it then you are LUCKY.

I was watching a Barrett Jackson Auction on TV a while back and an absolutely beautiful 1968 Mustang coupe went on the block. It had won a load of shows, been on the cover of countless magazines and didn't have a scratch on it. The owner had receipts for over 200 grand!
    It sold for $38,000.00.

2 cars later a stock, original 1-owner 1969 Hemi 'Cuda in average condition sold for over 100 grand (original price was about 4 grand).

Value of car is NOT what you have spent on it.....
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Thread Information