Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 40th Birthday for my HQ sandman

Sandman Driver
    True. Imagine though if you sold your restored vehicle in parts. (ouch!) I dunno give it 20 years, these things might be worth a bit more than speculated, but overall, totally agreed, the price of a build is more than dollars also.

Banned
    Look back 20 years and see what was worth the most in classic cars. Are they still worth the most now?

riley
    Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    Look back 20 years and see what was worth the most in classic cars. Are they still worth the most now?
    Really?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by riley View Post
    Really?
    I don't know. Are they? Are the cars that are worth lots restored in 2015 going to be worth any more than they are now?

A fair question WB. From my own memory bank, and I would say for cars in good roadworthy (but not necessary exceptional) condition, that price 20 years ago are roughly proportional to those we are looking at now, except that now we are talking 6 to 8 x the 1995 prices (down from probably 10x these prices for some cars in the peak in '07/08). And they still rank in roughly the same order. My list (don't crucify me I'm only going by a middle aged memory here), and talking Holdens only,
    1995 values approx.:
    Torana A9X- 25,000
    Monaro GTS 350 20,000
    Torana SLR 5000 15,000
    Monaro GTS V8 (other than 350) 12,500
    Sandman 308 8,000

Banned
    What were the popular collector cars then though? I guessing it more 60's cars like E type jags. Have they held their value in relation to the current 70's cars or lost a lot of value?
    I guess Jags and Aston Martins are still valuable. But what else was desirable to Joe Blow.

I think this was said before on a thread but the boom is what we had when we were young. Rodney and I are of the age where we have finished educating our kids, they have left, we have bought property and set ourselves up for retirement one day. So we now want our car back which started with our yellow van, them red, them ute, then green. It was only meant to be one but it's addictive. The next round of cars will be wb Utes and Group 3 crummadores. Just look at the craze of the time add thirty years to it and you have the next sought after model.
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

I wish that all these cars will go up in value in the future because i plan on leaving my kids my cars
    if there worth any thing or not in not worried as long as they enjoy them like i do

- - - Updated - - -

And your right Jen its an addiction but not a bad one like drugs

Quote Originally Posted by jennie285 View Post
    I think this was said before on a thread but the boom is what we had when we were young. Rodney and I are of the age where we have finished educating our kids, they have left, we have bought property and set ourselves up for retirement one day. So we now want our car back which started with our yellow van, them red, them ute, then green. It was only meant to be one but it's addictive. The next round of cars will be wb Utes and Group 3 crummadores. Just look at the craze of the time add thirty years to it and you have the next sought after model.
    I agree 100%.
    As far as value goes, the price asked is inversely proportional to the availability of the cars, ie: the rarer the car, the higher the asking price. This is why A9X's and L-34's are fetching more money than SL/R-5000's, GTHO's get more than GT's, etc.... And as they get rarer the price goes up.

I follow the US car auctions and it's been interesting how cars that weren't popular or expensive a few years ago are now rapidly rising in price. Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am's are the perfect example. 10 years ago a really good one was under $10,000. Now they are over $25,000!

Our own favourite, the Sandman is also a good example. It's not that long ago that they were almost worthless, now rusty wrecks are getting good money.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Banned
    Rare effects the price but it's related to desireabilty.
    What was the must have collector car in 1978 when a HZ was new and what are they worth now?
    However, cars from the 70's are going to get very rare due to the only rust free ones being "saved" and taken to the coast and restored. Rust will kill them as well within 20 years.

Can't see WB ever booming lol. They are worth $7000 tops for what is exactly the same as a HZ Sandman. They had there boom in the late 80's.
    HSV Commodores will be the car. Especially things like SV5000 and early Maloo.
    Last edited by wbute; 17-08-2015 at 07:01 AM.

Thread Information