Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: 40th Birthday for my HQ sandman

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    Nup. That's not what i meant. What "was" the car to have. Not what was not collectable then and is now.
    In terms of Holdens, those mentioned were still the collectable cars, the prices paid 20 years ago for top of the range Aussie muscle was still expensive compared to a base torana or a kingswood, which could be had for a grand or 2.

I think what you're asking is what about exotica, say an e type Jag. They boomed in the late 80's, and they've come off their peak, but still desirable, and always will be in my view. Or Ferrari 250 GTO, were collectable 20 years ago, and continue to smash records at Auctions (got $20 mill spare?).

I personally wonder about the 1920/30s cars in original nick (ie not hot rodded), there will be soon no one left with any connection to them, and in original nick they are certainly a compromise to drive, unlike say a sandman which you can, if you wish still easily do a capital city run overnight (eastern states anyway!!) in terms of reliability and speed.

Banned
    Sandaro it's those vintage cars I am talking about. They were the "collectable" cars in the 80's. EH Holdens were the Holden to have but it was all about vintage cars.

P Plater
    Interesting comments guys. Including Sandman's are only worth $5000 and WB's are worth $7000 ? (joke). My intention was to restore and keep the car for my kids to use, however things change (Vintage car project). This car in no way am I trying to recoup my restoration costs, the (ridiculous) price is reflective of HQ monaro's with excellent restorations. When I was looking for a sandman to restore I knew it had to be a HQ because there would be less chance of over capitalising. The members who have restored cars have a better picture than those with cars are still in pieces, with all their faults. Restorations are not cheap I would estimate most of us would spend between 35 to 45 thousand dollars these days. I can honestly say after 4 years of expense and effort, people who have seen the car say its amazing.

Banned
    A Sandman is the most over inflated car for price in Australia. There is no doubt. They are not rare or comparable to a HQ Monaro which hangs on to earlier Monaro glory.
    A Sandman was just a sticker kit without even a unique model code. They are only making the over inflated prices because they are perceived as rare. They are not.

Over inflated compared to what guys asking big $$$$ for base model EHs FJs base model Toranas Falcons ooh they had race history big deal any nutter that paid $250000 for a GT falcon has rocks in his head
    but i would have to if money is no option so compared to some cars Sandmans are still cheap imho
    its not about the price you pay
    YOLO
    your dead a bloody long time just enjoy what you can afford

- - - Updated - - -

Good luck with the sale Steve

Banned
    Sorry I couldn't follow that. What is YOLO?

Sorry I couldn't follow that. What is YOLO?
    You Only Live Once

Quote Originally Posted by maxsandman View Post
    You Only Live Once

A Sandman is the most over inflated car for price in Australia. There is no doubt. They are not rare or comparable to a HQ Monaro which hangs on to earlier Monaro glory.
    A Sandman was just a sticker kit without even a unique model code. They are only making the over inflated prices because they are perceived as rare. They are not.

HK has mentioned in the past that the sandman equivalent these days is a thunder ute. not much chop
    BQZ

P Plater
    There are many things over inflated, house prices, car prices and ego's. What is the price ? don't just tell me its over inflated. There may be no Unique identifying numbers for a sandman, however there is enough to determine, deliberate actions in marketing, GTS options, and a unique optional decal kit created the sandman.

Even just to buy HQ GTS parts you will run up a hefty bill, even then you still have to sometimes repair them to a level you require. I know!

I personally would prefer to see a Sandman at the beach than a Kombi van.

Thread Information