Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Its finally in etch prime! Woohoo

Jamaican Lime or a shade that's close to that is a safe bet for sure. I haven't seen one I didn't like, but do it your way, you have to live with it.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    Hinges are looking good if not a little invasive. Always a compromise.

Colour is something that is personal for sure and generally I'm a fan of greens. But you need to be careful what you use. Modern colours rarely look right on older cars. Also be mindful of what front end panels you are using. I can't remember what nose you are using but if it's WB Stato for instance a lot of greens won't sit right (in my eyes anyway). Good luck with your choice and well done on the progress.
    Thanks Innuendo and Big Rob, I am using a full WB series 2 caprice front end for this and your comments have given me a different picture on this. I will keep the front in mind when picking the final colour, cheers

Ditch the WB Caprice front and sell it to me!

I just checked out Rod and Jennies pics of their new van and am loving that green!
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Quote Originally Posted by damienengland View Post

Yep correct on all fronts, that's good detective work XX7. Panel shop suggested Dennis for the custom bit when i told them how i wanted all the profiles and ribs to look factory. I wish i had known him when he scored the rep of $20 bux a tap....it would have been way cheaper Just kidding, his work is excellent and i can't complain about his hourly rate. In hindsight, to stay cost effective I would do more of the design and prep work before i got Dennis in.
    yes, "TT" is something very few put into a project these days. no doubt dennis is very very good, but don't be fooled bout the GMH story with the taillight, HJ was well on the way to being design made and tested well prior to dennis working there

Wish i had more to share on this thread, but its a red letter day so any news is share worthy. After nearly 2 years, the van is in the spray booth!!!!!!...not painted yet, but its in there. The shop wanted to run over the underneath a bit more before the stone guard goes on, but should be painting any day now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post
    Ditch the WB Caprice front and sell it to me!

I just checked out Rod and Jennies pics of their new van and am loving that green!
    Hi Big Rob, just saw this. I've loved the Caprice front end since they came out and the chances of selling this one are next to none....but for 1 million buck you might have a shot Yes i have also been checking out the Malachite van on the other thread and its a great reference for me. I might not go that dark in the greenness, but its a good looker.

Quote Originally Posted by damienengland View Post
    Wish i had more to share on this thread, but its a red letter day so any news is share worthy. After nearly 2 years, the van is in the spray booth!!!!!!...not painted yet, but its in there. The shop wanted to run over the underneath a bit more before the stone guard goes on, but should be painting any day now.
    Good to see the progress. Not sure about the "stone guard" if your going "show". I would just stick with paint. Stone guard can make things look cheap and that your hiding something. I do get it from a stone protection sort of thing but all that work to be covered up in splatter seems a waste.

As for paint colour - Green Regal Peacock (VF Commodore) but it is a shade or 6 darker then Malachite but gee it's an awesome colour that will 100% suit the WB Stato front.

Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    Good to see the progress. Not sure about the "stone guard" if your going "show". I would just stick with paint. Stone guard can make things look cheap and that your hiding something. I do get it from a stone protection sort of thing but all that work to be covered up in splatter seems a waste.

As for paint colour - Green Regal Peacock (VF Commodore) but it is a shade or 6 darker then Malachite but gee it's an awesome colour that will 100% suit the WB Stato front.
    Yep, it was a tough choice. I truly wanted to go with paint underneath, but chose not to in the end. Couple of factors-

1. The chassis is not up to 'show' standard
    2. I can't guarantee how well i will care for the underneath and i assume it needs some care and attention if painted
    3. I'm keen on road deadener
    4. I plan a stage 2 with LSA engine, rack and pinion steering and other mods (I figured I could always revisit it when the body is off again...years from now)

Basically i chickened out, as i felt the cost would have blown out again if i went the next level, so that's where i drew the line. Good point though.

So how close are you to putting colour on and what colour have you decided on?

This one looks good enough for black!

GMH did an Emerald green metallic in a HZ its a nice colour check out some pics if you can

Quote Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post
    So how close are you to putting colour on and what colour have you decided on?

This one looks good enough for black!
    Its waiting for paint now, but final colour not selected yet. I'm waiting for some final colour samples to be made up, so hopefully i can make a pick shortly.

Thread Information