Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: HJ XX7 Van

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    Back in the day it was expensive to rebuild power steering pumps and box's. People just did what was cheap to keep a $1500 car going.
    Good point wbute

Quote Originally Posted by No van man View Post
    Thanks Sandaro,
    The car is fairly untouched, even though the column has been replaced the sellers explanation made sense. However after saying that, the Vehicle Production Report from Ben Stewart showed that the van was also ordered with power steer, which is no longer fitted.
    Who knows why these things happen, but pwr steer is an odd thing to remove.
    Gaz.
    my HX sandman van had a tree shift column when i got it. previous owner said they went to a local mechanic and thats all he could come up with and it has to be couriered from the city. a very common thing to see in these old girls
    BQZ

Quote Originally Posted by Vombil View Post
    my HX sandman van had a tree shift column when i got it. previous owner said they went to a local mechanic and thats all he could come up with and it has to be couriered from the city. a very common thing to see in these old girls
    Really! that's great.
    I travelled around 750k's return to first look at my van, during the trip up I had pretty much talked myself out of buying it, until I saw it.
    I really wanted a HZ and this one had windows, poxy HJ and it was yellow. The old fella I bought it off (nearly 80) didn't know how to send pic's via text or email, so I was flying blind and my imagination was running rampant.
    As soon as I saw it, I couldn't believe my luck. I had plans of hearing it run (hadn't been run in 9 years) before I talked money but that went straight out the window.
    I just checked to make sure the engine spun by hand, but the authenticity checks did take long.
    To find an original paint Brisbane built Sandman, I was stoked.
    Gaz.

I liked it with the jelly beans, but I think the GTS rims look even better.
    HJ GTS..jpg HJ GTS.jpg

Gaz

Sandman Driver
    Wow Gaz that looks nearly untouched?? how is the interior?? Great find. What are your plans??

Yep! I agree years ago we all liked something that was 'an extra', now for the most we love what is original and your van is just that
    well done Gaz your on a roll.

The inside is about the same as the outside, good knick for its age but pretty weathered.
    Drivers seat is torn, carpet is buggered, all original though.
    Gaz

Hi Gaz,

The no armrests is correct for an early HJ, the change to black fascia was supposed to have been around July/August 75... However your fascia is a correct HJ fascia so easy enough to paint it Portland Grey if you wanted to, or just clean it up and leave it black.

Thanks Sandman.

OK.....the time has come to do something constructive on the van.
    The plan is to leave the car as original as possible and do the bare minimum to get it safe, reliable and registered.

The door rubbers etc are all perished and require replacement. Different people had success with different suppliers but the majority seem to be happy with either Better Auto Rubbers or Kingswood Country rubbers.......so i guess i'll head towards those.
    The next quandry is where to get the correct seat covers that would have the correct vinyl grain.....i'd really appreciate some feedback on this one.
    My car is black trim.
    Gaz.

Thread Information