Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chev Motors

Chev Motors

I am thinking about upgrading the motor in my 1937 Dodge Fargo it currently has a boat anchor 253 with a supra five speed, considering a chev motor as it will give me a bit more room in the engine bay width wise. Have never owned a chev motor or had anything to do with them its a car that's gets out a couple of times a week and not really wanting to change to gas , seem to be heaps of 350 chev motors for sale crate motors etc I don't what anything too wild maybe a nice set of alloy heads and some bolt on fuel injection its just a cruiser would also consider a 307 or 327 are these blocks the same size as the 350 they seem less popular but saw two on ebay for sale over the weekend out of late model Camaros I am sure they would do the job also. Also is the turbo 350 or 400 best suited for this type of motor again just for cruising.

Have you considered a 5.0 inj with T700? Definitely more go and good for highway cruising

Sandman Guru
    Or just replace the 253 with a 308. All they need to make them go pretty well is a decent cam, decent exhaust and a good tune.

All SBC's will fit in the same "hole". If you want a cruiser though a 4L60 auto out of a VN-VP V8 behind a stock SBC would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Alien DNA View Post
    Have you considered a 5.0 inj with T700? Definitely more go and good for highway cruising
    The slant of the Aussie V8 is my problem as it sits now with the 253 I have a about 20mm clearance from the brake booster so with a set of injected heads I wouldn't have the clearance and I don't really think moving the booster is an option unless an under the dash type which I know you can get for early mustangs if going for new efi motors etc, was told the chev would take up less room because of the narrow V shape

There's not a lot of difference in width between a 253/308 and a Chev small block. The clearance issue you have with the booster is only due to rocker cover size, so can't you find a low profile set?

I actually think that since it's a Dodge, you should consider a 360/727Torqueflite combo, but cost may be a bit higher.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Just go the small block chev crate engine. and a rebuilt turbo 400 cheapest way out by far

Sandman Guru
    recoed 308 would be cheaper Gene, will go straight where the 253 is.
    Last edited by HK1837; 08-07-2014 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Fixed spelling

True Byron but cheaper to make a chev go faster than a 308

Sandman Guru
    It is, but the question was based around "just for cruisng".

And cheaper may not apply in this case, the 308 will go in using the same exhaust, same mounts, same bellhousing, flywheel, wiring, tailshaft, throttle linkage etc etc. Chev will need most of this replaced. A good running 308 can be had for $1000. If the 253 is due for a rebuild then it costs the same (apart from buying the block & crank) to rebuild it as a 308. Might be academic in any case as the question also came with the desire to go in the Chev direction.
    Last edited by HK1837; 08-07-2014 at 11:09 AM.

The reason I was mainly considering a chev was for to free up some room as I was told they are a narrower V I am not sure by how much, I am also looking at putting bolt on EFI on which ever motor I go for, a 308 is definitely in the picture if I am not going to gain much in way of room, the other consideration was that resale wise a Chev maybe more sought after. Horse power wise would it be cheaper to buy a chev or have a 308 stroker and what is the best auto to put behind it Turbo 350, 400 or 700.

Thread Information