Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Jasmine yellow commenced

I feel for you, it's a hard decision that really only you can make. My HX Sandman was full of rust in all the areas you mention... After having a hard time finding a good replacement body I canned it, sold it for $1500 and bought a mostly rust free HJ Sandman for $6000.

HX Sandman
    image.jpg

HJ Sandman

image.jpg
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

IMO you should 'bog and flog' with disclosure. Someone who just wants a windowless van and has a garage for it might not be too worried about rust being bogged as if its not getting wet then the bog will last a while. or you could sell to a spray painter/panel beater. they always seem to like the rotten ones for cheap $$. very upsetting for you. but as they say 'RUP' rust in the usual places!

that HJ looks pretty straight Abs
    Last edited by Vombil; 12-08-2014 at 08:52 PM.
    BQZ

Sandman Driver
    Sorry to hear about your dilemma!! I tend to agree with vombil, but be honest with it, and move on... good luck

If it is as bad as you say you should probably cut your loses and off load, chances are you will probably always be chasing your tail in some of the places you do the repairs with it coming back as Jenny and Rod are experiencing now, if it was a super rare van or sentimental value maybe worth the trouble.

Sandman Driver
    Hi andyG, It does sound like you've had a bad week man, feel like posting any pics? (Up to you, of course) It doesnt sound good from your description but I'm thinking how bad is it in the lower A pillars round the door hinges?, and, is it both inner and outer sills? I think thats probably the difference between considering it maybe do-able (at a hassle and expense) or not at all.
    A point made on this site a in a conversation I was participating in while back was that you wanna enjoy your Sandy! I reversed my consideration of giving a member advice that its do-able to take on a big rust job, in that thread (Im still in the middle of two big restores now). Tackling a huge rust job does definately, for the money, and the time, disbalance the fun side of the equation compared to what you'd pay just starting again with something better. The bottom of those A pillars below the door hinges and the join to the sill are pretty important structurally. They sound key to me.
    Last edited by SLR_dave; 13-08-2014 at 08:07 AM.

miknvik1
    Buy another cab and swap the ID plates or sell the id plates. Id have a buyer if you are int.. mike

Quote Originally Posted by miknvik1 View Post
    Buy another cab and swap the ID plates or sell the id plates. Id have a buyer if you are int.. mike
    hmmmm
    BQZ

Quote Originally Posted by Absinth View Post
    I feel for you, it's a hard decision that really only you can make. My HX Sandman was full of rust in all the areas you mention... After having a hard time finding a good replacement body I canned it, sold it for $1500 and bought a mostly rust free HJ Sandman for $6000.

HX Sandman
    image.jpg

HJ Sandman

image.jpg
    Great to see another Persian Sand Sandman, Is it the original colour? I loved the colour back in the 70's and bought 2 from new, a HQ sedan and a HZ Sandman. It didn't seem to be a popular colour with the buyers back then and I really don't think a lot would have been made. Would anybody know a way of finding out roughly how many Holden produced in Persian Sand Mk1 or Mk2?
    HZ Persian Sand Mk2 Sandman (under full restoration)
    HX Chamois Monaro GTS

P Plater
    Thanks guys, i might sit and think on it awhile

Quote Originally Posted by HZSanFan View Post
    Great to see another Persian Sand Sandman, Is it the original colour?
    Yep, original colour and original paint. Persian Sand MK 1 with no evidence the stickers were ever fitted to it.

AndyG, if you have the skills and time to repair the rust then keep at it mate... I have seen some pretty bad vans brought back by some skilled and patient owners. Personally I find the restoration process lots of fun and get a great sense of achievement with each successful repair but with a badly rusted car you have to do it one section at a time or it can get overwhelming..... Good luck with whatever you decide.
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Thread Information