Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HQ Sandman 350 ute

Leadfoot

HQ Sandman 350 ute

Hi Everyone, I've been a bit quiet on the forum of late, but I haven't been idle!

I've been steadily collecting bits for the Sandman van, and in the process I've collected a fair amount of surplus bits..........................

......Soo what do you do with a heap of HQ gear??? It's obvious isn't it???? (well not to my wife!!) but to anyone else!

Of course throw it all together and build a car!

So this is what I have
    HQ ute 1.JPGHQ ute 2.JPG

A reasonably unmolested HQ Belmont Ute.

202 trimatic, very little rust. etc. the pictures tell most of the story!
    As I've already got the motor and box sold, I went looking for another, and found a pretty well worked over 350, with a turbo 700, 3000 rpm stall stage 2 shift kit etc.
    Another bloody good find really!

So the plan is to build it as though Holden did a 350 powered Sandman!

So far the choice has been made as to the colour, Azure blue, by my five year old! He's a chip off the old block!

I'm undecided on the interior colour, but I'm thinking something other than black, any suggestions would be appreciated.
    I'll probably make it Kingswood spec, so that opens up a few more options.

Now all I have to do is build it without the Missus finding out how much it's costing

So what do you all think!

Scotty.

Looks like a great project you have there Scotty, are you wanting to go with the original interior colours that were available at the time or just what ever floats your boat, Azure blue is a great choice by the little fella should look schmick

Sandman Guru
    Go for it. If it was me I wouldn't make a Sandman replica out of it, but leave it looking EXACTLY how it does now but in your colour choice. Yeah make it handle and brake better, fit better seats and full instruments etc. But leave it looking like a stock Belmont on the outside, with the 350 and 4L60. I'd even leave the standard rims with those Kingswood hubcaps.

Leadfoot
    Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    Go for it. If it was me I wouldn't make a Sandman replica out of it, but leave it looking EXACTLY how it does now but in your colour choice. Yeah make it handle and brake better, fit better seats and full instruments etc. But leave it looking like a stock Belmont on the outside, with the 350 and 4L60. I'd even leave the standard rims with those Kingswood hubcaps.
    Hi Byron, I know what you're saying, it is one of my options, and was my original thought (actually a quick tidy up and rego), till I sold the motor and box out of it!

There's just something about the HQ Sandman that has has always done it for me!
    I guess that's why I bought one when I was 17.
    There's also the fun of watching the experts analysing it, and telling their mates that they had one exactly the same, when they were young

If I do it as a Sandman, I'll be making it look stock, so yes, I'll choose from the interior colours available for the HQ.

Cheers, Scotty

Leadfoot
    So I got the motor and box home from up north, last night, and have just arrived back from the South coast tonight, with the ute!

I'm pretty damn happy.

Last night, I found out the motor is stuffed with high quality bits, and some high quality head work, and was dynoed at around 400 HP at the wheels, the gearbox, and stall converter are all top notch, the only thing I'm not wrapt about, is that the gearbox has a stage 3 shift kit, not stage 2 as advertised, which means it is full manual, which I reckon I'll have to change. I know .... "No sense of adventure" and all that stuff.

So this arvo I looked over this car once it was on the trailer. Stuff me!!! The thing is literally rust free (he's already cut out what little rust was there....just not put any metal back)
    The thing is perfect underneath, the quarters, beaver, plenum, floors, doors, pillars, etc are spotless, the only bits of rust are in the sills/dogleg area, and very minor stuff under the gutter in the door openings!
    I haven't seen a Q this good in ages!!!!

So the plan so far .........Build a Sandman replica ute, to look as though it came with the 350 from the factory, for under 10 G's By the New Year... (Just so I can't wimp out of a date)2015

I'm pretty confident ...... Of course that doesn't include my labour, and I'll be doing the body and paint, motor rebuild etc.

I'm sure your wondering how much I've got in her so far (I know I would be! )

Well it's even Stevens so far the motor and box were $1,500, and the Car...............(you guessed it)$1,500 dollars

I'll add the fuel in for all the chasing I do too, so that's another $238.39ish so far that's roughly 3 tanks.

So all told $3,238.39 for a HQ ute with a 350, T700 and Banjo diff (I reckon I'll have to sort that next! )

I'll post some pics after work tomorow.

Cheers, Scotty.

I will keep an eye on this one
    red would be my colour choice

Well done, you have a great fun project there. A 350 sandman sound's ideal.

Cheers.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Leadfoot
    Well I thought it was time for a bit of an update!

I've pulled down the motor, and it's pretty sound, the bores are good all measure round and on size at .060 over with no lip , the crank is in good nick, although it has been ground .030 on the mains, and .020 on the rod journals.
    the cam and lifters are like new, it's got a Melling high volume oil pump, double row timing chain and sprockets are like new.

some pics......
    20140825_180149.jpg20140825_180252.jpg20140818_191217.jpg

So I went out and spent some bucks on ebay us, I bought a re-ring kit, new balancer (because someone had decided a FBH was the right method of installation and removal for harmonic balancers!)
    Electronic dizzy, high volume mechanical fuel pump and rod, a chrome dipstick, and some dress-up bits

Finned sump.JPGFinned dust cover.JPGFinned trans sump.JPG
    all that and a new hone, cost me $ 510.99 Australian Dollars..............I keep having to check I've got that right, it just seems too bloody cheap!!!

I'm also on to a set of the original finned rocker covers, the air cleaner, and an alternator bracket, for cheap, but I don't have them yet, so I won't count my chickens, just yet!
    The heads are away now being serviced, and should be back next week.

So it's all coming along nicely, and the budget is still looking good... I'll get the motor back together, then I'll rip apart the trans and make sure it's all good too.

I'll update the running cost when I know how much it's going to cost to get it all over here, which I won't know 'till my mate receives all the stuff.

In the mean time I'm on to a EL XR6 Borg Warner 3.45:1 LSD for $300, they're basically the same width as an HQ diff (actually about 20mm narrower) with disc brakes etc, plus they're tough as nails, and about a quarter of the price of a VL turbo diff, that is exactly the same thing! I'll have the axles re-drilled, and weld on the spring hangers, then all I need is a finned cover for it to go with the other finned bits!
    I've got a couple of other jobs to finish up before I start the body work on the ute, when I get close to starting that, I'll start to organise the interior as well.

Cheers, Scotty.

Good work mate, this is going to be a tuff ride, look forward to pics. cheers

I might know where there is a set of those finned rocker covers not sure if he still has them but i can find out for you if you like
    Cheers Gene.

Thread Information