Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BIG $$$ for a Replica!!

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    Have prices actually risen for Sandmans? They were pulling $40000 for a good one when this site started.
    If anything the price for a genuine one in need of restoration has dropped. Everyone was paying 10 to 15k for any old rust bucket.

I don't think prices have changed much. A good mostly original unrestored van was getting around $10k when this site started.... A carribean turquoise HX sold for 10k on eBay with faded paint and stickers, lots of dents and a little rust, L31 M21 from memory... It went back on eBay months later with the new owner wanting around 15k, don't know if it sold for that. There was also a mostly original white HX with faded paint and stickers L31 M21 that went for around $10k but that was about it.... Most were in the $3000 to $6000 range and still are today.

i don't know of any restored Sandmans getting $45k, the highest I remember was the Supermint HZ getting $38k, a nice red HJ getting $25 and a lot around the $20k mark.
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Sandman Guru
    I agree Sean. It'd have to be a pretty exceptional Sandman to see $30k+. I reckon any sales that high would probably be mostly off-market too.

Banned
    You would not want to restore one thinking you were going to get your money back. Same with any car I suppose.

Sandman Guru
    True, but I say and have always said that you are silly (or even a fool) not to at least consider it when you do restore one. No different to a house reno. If you then choose to progress having considered all angles then you can at least console yourself that you considered it!

By consideration I mean asking yourself questions like:

Should I be restoring this car? Rust? Paint colour? Driveline?

Should I be spending $30k+ on this 6cyl HX Sandman van with windows cut into it?

Would I be better off spending $15k on a really good driveable near complete L31 M21 HZ Kingswood van and tidying it up? Or for that matter spending $18k on a clean-ish V8 Sandman that needs a tidy up and $5k spent on it, maybe paint it in 5 years time if it deteriorates a bit?

Why did I buy it? If it was because it was cheap and bought on a visible market, was it cheap because it was an undesirable car? Will it be desirable when restored? Remember GMH couldn't sell 202 powered HX Sandmans new, they were unsaleable at a profit. This is why the 6cyl was dropped from HZ Sandman. To my eyes not much has changed.

Bloody hell you guys have put me off restoring mine now im not doing it for the money im going to leave it to one of my kids

Just buy a neat kingswood and whack a sticker kit on it. You'll save a fortune. Stickers are the only real difference anyway.

The market for restored vans/utes must be miniscule. All the interest is in the low price brackets (and has been for the last 10 years) and they quite often resurface in the same condition as it doesn't make any $$ sense to spend 20k or more on a sandman.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    Bloody hell you guys have put me off restoring mine now im not doing it for the money im going to leave it to one of my kids
    Yeah restoring for sentimental reasons is a different thing isn't it. I would think that 99% of Holdens would be restored for this reason.

Sandman Guru
    I wouldn't say don't do it. Just do the sums and wonder if you wouldn't be better off selling it close to how it is now and buy one already done ready to use. Yours is a pretty high end example though, and is a car worthy of the funds needed.

I am restoring mine for sentimental reasons as I bought it new and will do what it takes to get it back to as close as showroom condition...I just hope the "one who must be obeyed" doesn't sell it for what I have told her it is costing me...maybe I'll adjust my will accordingly!
    HZ Persian Sand Mk2 Sandman (under full restoration)
    HX Chamois Monaro GTS

Cruiser
    Just wash it, bolt back together and enjoy driving it Gene. Or as Byron says, sell it. I'll buy it, very cool van.

Thread Information