Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cars that make you go,"hmmm, I don't know...."

Flamenco_not_Flamingo

Cars that make you go,"hmmm, I don't know...."

After that thread of Taily's about cars that got us going it got me thinking about cars that quite a few people like but I just can't get into and don't understand the attraction.

This is not to belittle or undermine anyone's personal taste, I mean that's what it is after all, personal taste and it may also give me an insight or an understanding of why cars are popular and give me a different perspective.

So with all that in mind, here goes...... be gentle with me.

I don't get why Holden Brougham are so sort after.

Get stuck in or educate me

Attachment 11644

Sandman Guru
    Probably only now because they were mined so bad that there aren't many left. No-one wanted them in the 80's and 90's. WB Statesman will probably end up the same.

I agree with HK, all that and they have a great rear end . . .

Flamenco_not_Flamingo
    Quote Originally Posted by buickzz View Post
    I agree with HK, all that and they have a great rear end . . .
    That's the problem I have, the rear end, the front end and the interior

Sandman Guru
    You are probably actually better off looking at how they went sales wise when new.

I look at how popular Walkinshaw VL Group A are now, but they were unwanted when new.

Flamenco_not_Flamingo
    Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    You are probably actually better off looking at how they went sales wise when new.

I look at how popular Walkinshaw VL Group A are now, but they were unwanted when new.
    I get you HK but I am more talking about personally, I don't get how many people I know that seem to like them.

They say things like "they came with a Chevy" " luxury".

Its not about numbers, its about personal taste.

If you talk about numbers, there is an American Ford which I am just not keen on that starts with "M" that is inordinately popular that I don't get lol

Sandman Guru
    Well if that is the case it is only HK they'd be liking as no HT or HG Broughams had Chevrolet engines! And the HT 308 was a more powerful engine than a stock 307 HK Brougham engine.

Personally i'd prefer a HK Kingswood or Premier sedan with optional 307 and M21 or a later HT Premier or Kingswood sedan with a 308 and M21. Or for that matter a HQ L30 M41 Statesman Deville.

What I meant by numbers was how popular were they when new? They certainly weren't popular as a used car. Combine those together means there are bugger all left for those that like them.

I don't get Mustangs either, unless they are a factory hipo version. But i'm the same with LX hatchbacks, unless it is a 5.0L car why bother? For the stupid $ being asked for an original Sunbird with flares and a 308 you could buy an original 1968 Impala coupe with factory big block or a 1970 Z28, with change for a nice original HQ-HZ Kingswood ute. I'm a bit the same with an SLR5000. These are the direct equivalent of a HQ 308 GTS sedan - a second tier car. And people ask over $50k for them sometimes - lunacy to me, when I can buy a HG or HQ GTS350 coupe for similar money, and sometimes an XU1 - all of these are premium performance and rare cars compared to the 1000's of SLR5000's made, plus the others are coupes.

Flamenco_not_Flamingo
    Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    Well if that is the case it is only HK they'd be liking as no HT or HG Broughams had Chevrolet engines! And the HT 308 was a more powerful engine than a stock 307 HK Brougham engine.

Personally i'd prefer a HK Kingswood or Premier sedan with optional 307 and M21 or a later HT Premier or Kingswood sedan with a 308 and M21. Or for that matter a HQ L30 M41 Statesman Deville.

What I meant by numbers was how popular were they when new? They certainly weren't popular as a used car. Combine those together means there are bugger all left for those that like them.

I don't get Mustangs either, unless they are a factory hipo version. But i'm the same with LX hatchbacks, unless it is a 5.0L car why bother? For the stupid $ being asked for an original Sunbird with flares and a 308 you could buy an original 1968 Impala coupe with factory big block or a 1970 Z28, with change for a nice original HQ-HZ Kingswood ute. I'm a bit the same with an SLR5000. These are the direct equivalent of a HQ 308 GTS sedan - a second tier car. And people ask over $50k for them sometimes - lunacy to me, when I can buy a HG or HQ GTS350 coupe for similar money, and sometimes an XU1 - all of these are premium performance and rare cars compared to the 1000's of SLR5000's made, plus the others are coupes.
    Yep HK, you got exactly from where I am coming from!!

Not that I am judging, just wondering.

Those 3 key words......... why would you......lol
    Last edited by Flamenco_not_Flamingo; 22-09-2014 at 11:24 AM. Reason: fyx mi spiling and grandma

Sandman Guru
    There is nothing wrong with building up a nice replica, plenty of replica Sandmans around. Just paying top $ for a replica is beyond me. But each to their own.

Well Flamingo, how about the "original" Mini's. Before I get into it, I grew up surrounded by "most" of the original Aussie muscle car's with their first owner's. Which is why I hold those in such high regard.
    I know of course, all of the pitfall's of owning a mini, but I still like them. I like the shape and the layout of them, and just the pure "basicness" of them. I don't own a mini, but my wife did a lifetime ago.

Cheer's.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Thread Information