Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hq sandman panel vans & Utes - how many?

Quote Originally Posted by kerm74 View Post
    Another related question, does anyone know the difference between a Belmont and Kingswood in the HQ Sandman ute, I assume the latter may have been better optioned?
    My hq sandman ute is a kingswood has trim across tailgate , gutter trim, b pillar trim, trim across top of doors and arm rests and chrome scuff plates.
    Last edited by Kingsandman; 28-11-2014 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsandman View Post
    My hq sandman ute is a kingswood has trim across tailgate , gutter trim, b pillar trim, trim across top of doors and arm rests and chrome scuff plates.
    Mine also has 30e trim which is long grain black .not sure if the vinyl was the same as 30b belmont black.looking at photos of belmont trim it looks like smooth textured vinyl .does anyone have a original sandman belmont covered seat as it would be interesting to know.
    Last edited by Kingsandman; 28-11-2014 at 11:26 PM.

Learner Driver
    Thanks guys, that's good info!

Any ideas as to the clock in the dash, was that a Kingwood thing, or just an option, and did they all have second hands?

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    I have a inkling that the HQ Sandman was to be a limited build initially, much like the VSIII SS ute. So GMH built a quantity for sale early on in 1974. I think this is where the numbers that get thrown up from time to time come from i.e. this quantity was a distinct number like 100 or 200 or whatever. After they sold quickly then you could order them and more were built for stock order.
    That's what I remember too. My Dad's best mate was the fleet manager at Suttons Chullora and he used to tell us all the news and gossip about things that were happening at Holden.
    The HQ Sandman idea was originally just a "toe in the water" to see if anyone was interested in a hotted up van or ute. That's why they were Belmont vans (all you could get), or Kingswood or Belmont utes (again, all you could get). The sandman option was just that, an option pack available on vans or utes. When they sold well, the green light was given for the HJ to be a serious model and the rest is history.

You never saw many HQ Sandmans back in the 70's because most people customised them and the Sandman visual evidence was lost. Same thing with the later models, the Sandman was just a good base for a custom van for a lot of people, that's why a lot had no stripes.... most people wanted murals.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

monaros and statemans had dash clocks ,mines an original factory gts dash but being a kingswood sandman they did not have clock there is a member on here has a chrome yellow hq sandman ute with clock ,was in it when he purchased it ,most probably installed by a previous owner.
    Last edited by Kingsandman; 29-11-2014 at 12:20 AM.

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post
    That's what I remember too. My Dad's best mate was the fleet manager at Suttons Chullora and he used to tell us all the news and gossip about things that were happening at Holden.
    The HQ Sandman idea was originally just a "toe in the water" to see if anyone was interested in a hotted up van or ute. That's why they were Belmont vans (all you could get), or Kingswood or Belmont utes (again, all you could get). The sandman option was just that, an option pack available on vans or utes. When they sold well, the green light was given for the HJ to be a serious model and the rest is history.

You never saw many HQ Sandmans back in the 70's because most people customised them and the Sandman visual evidence was lost. Same thing with the later models, the Sandman was just a good base for a custom van for a lot of people, that's why a lot had no stripes.... most people wanted murals.
    That's correct, GMH had to add the DL7 option later in HX as too many people not wanting stripes. I know a few people who bought Ambulance packs rather than Sandmans for this reason.

Banned
    Sandman was never a serious model was it? Always was an option on Belmont and Kingswood HQ/J and Belmont only HX/Z. If it was a model they would have had a different code to either 8WM/N.

Quote Originally Posted by kerm74 View Post
    Thanks guys, that's good info!

Any ideas as to the clock in the dash, was that a Kingwood thing, or just an option, and did they all have second hands?
    The seconds hand was standard on hq dash clocks acording to holden parts catalog at the time.

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    Sandman was never a serious model was it? Always was an option on Belmont and Kingswood HQ/J and Belmont only HX/Z. If it was a model they would have had a different code to either 8WM/N.
    It was an option pack in HQ-J but was intended to be seen as a separate model in HX-Z, and to add it as a special vehicle package on top of an existing model was the normal way to do it. Making it a separate model is an exception (HK-HG 1837). All the rest are special vehicle packages on a lesser model: XU1, XU2 (SLR5000), L34. A9X, XV2 (SS), XV4 (HQ GTS sedan), XW8 (HQ GTS350 sedan). Heaps of others too.

Banned
    No way it was a seperate model in HX/Z. It was an option!HX Monaro sedan is an example of a seperate Model. HX GTS Monaro is 8WQ model range. Vin code 8Q69 (Sedan) 8WQ model range, 8Q37 vin code (coupe). Sandman never had any such code in HX or Z. Just 8WM model code same as Holden ute. If GMH intended them to be another model they would have given them a model code which would have removed confusion in identifying them now.
    They were the same non seperate model the whole way through. They were a cheap marketing idea for GMH and never anything else.
    Last edited by wbute; 29-11-2014 at 03:24 PM.

Thread Information