Thread: Sock Absorber Lengths

Sock Absorber Lengths

I'm looking to buy some new shocks for my van. Now given than I plan to chase rally cars arround the place I am sure that the van will see some sketch back roads maybe the odd dirt road and the it will do so carrying a fair load. I have been thinking about using some of the 4wd type shocks with adjustable rate. I was hoping if I new the compressed and extended length of a panel van shock that I may be able to find a 4wd with match length shock and use them in the van. Can anyone tell me what the compressed and extended length of a HZ shock is? I have spent a fair bit of time look on line with no sucess.

Sandman Driver
    Well, I am pretty sure the amount a sock will absorb will depend on its length, but also its textile material, holeproof explorers seem to be the most absorbent I have found.

OK, lol jokes aside, ask munroe? The ones in my HJ wagon are off a volvo, (happened to be spare at the time) I have an original rear set on one of my vans, but I'd have to take one off to make the measurement.
    Last edited by SLR_dave; 08-12-2014 at 06:24 AM. Reason: spelt absorbent wrong, which sorta put the joke back on me lol

Banned
    Finding something short enough could be a problem.
    Once you start into proper shocks with adjustment they should be able to re-valve them to suit the driving conditions of your car anyway. Increased oil capacity and gas charge are important with the extra load to help stop the oil heating up and foaming up which cause fading. Shocks have no load carrying ability, unless they are air shocks.
    Interesting fact, the new style of forks on dirt bikes don't have a spring in them. They are carrying the weight on air pressure only.
    As for socks, wool for sure. It's agroscopic to the point of saturation.

Sandman Driver
    "Agroscopic" - lovin it!! (- the ability to soak up everything agricultural?)
    Last edited by SLR_dave; 08-12-2014 at 07:40 AM.

G'day rallyvan; I measured the original rear Monroe shocks off my HZ; 320mm compressed / 515mm extended between centres.

I hope you're not taking that great looking van down dirt roads!
    Last edited by Nocturne; 08-12-2014 at 09:20 PM. Reason: spelling

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SLR_dave View Post
    "Agroscopic" - lovin it!! (- the ability to soak up everything agricultural?)
    Hmm. Maybe hygroscopic lol.

Sandman Guru
    I remember using HQ air shocks on my FJ40 'cruiser in the 80's.

If only I could buy some decent shocks for the cost of footy socks!
    Thanks for the info Nocturne.
    A couple of blokes I rally with have used some of the 45mm Tough Dog adjustable shocks out of 4wd's in their Commodore rally cars (one a ute and one a sedan) with very satisfactory results. I think there will be instances where the van will be driven empty and other circumstances where it will be loaded right up the adjustable shocks have degree of appeal. Hence the shock length question.
    As for driving on the dirt roads I think there is a fair chance. I may have to make up some sill protectors.

Banned
    If you are after variability use air bags.
    When you say adjustable do you mean damping or weight?
    Tough dog are only adjustable for rebound and compression damping. You still need to have the correct springs for load. You can only vary your load capacity easily by airbags.
    Dirt bikes have had adjustable suspension for 30 years standard. But you still need to buy the correct springs for your weight plus gear.
    Shocks don't carry load.
    Last edited by wbute; 08-12-2014 at 09:24 PM.

Thread Information