Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Difference between XU3 and XX7

Cruiser

Difference between XU3 and XX7

whats the difference between axu4 and a sand man and why are they rarer

Rocky I have updated the thread title so that it makes sense for everyone.

Basically (and I really mean basically) the difference is the tyre type - no doubt HK1837 will drop by to clarify and provide more detail, he has a better way with words.

In the meantime check out my words here;
    http://mysandman.com.au/site/index.p...x7-xu3-details

My understanding is an xu4 is a comercial vehicle with passenger tyres, so not really anything special.

Sandman Guru
    Essentially there was a need for vehicles with carrying capacity less than 500kg. So GMH modified the Sandman and created 2 x Sandman options, lineage as below:

Sandman: Essentially 1/74 through to 10/75 - coded XX7, 10/75 through to 10/79 - coded XU3. These all have commercial tyres and full GVW.

Derated Sandman: 10/75 through to 10/79 - coded XX7. These have passenger tyres.

The XU4 option is the same principle but applied to a normal ute or van or Kingswood ute, ie passenger tyres fitted to lower the carrying capacity. 10/75 through to the end of WB. XU4 is tyres only, and GVW reduced accordingly. Nothing else.

I think this may be how and why this question came about.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-HZ...item4d2cc9c82b

This van is very original and has been in storage for the past 6 years. Factory 'Dynasty Gold' L32 high compression 253 V8 with matching numbers.Original GV7 Salisbury LSD with 3.55 gears.2 seat capacity. The engin was rebuilt approx 140000 km ago. An auto transmission was installed when the engin was rebuilt.The XU4 is rarer than the Sandman. This vehicle is intact with all its original Monaro running gear and factory GTS detail. The vehicle requires restoration but it is complete, does run and sounds great. This is extremely rare and its true value is in restoring to complete factory condition not mocking it up with Sandman stickers etc. The only physical difference between this and the Sandman was an 'N' instead of an 'M' on the Id tag.The original Nasco coffin rails and luggage strips are intact and sturdy. This was released as a true Recreation vehicle. It still cuts an imposing figure. The vehicle is for sale. The reserve is very reasonable. You can see a short video of the car running here >>>
    http://youtu.be/crtWs-7afzA

$_57.JPG

$_12.JPG

Being that it is a Brisbane build (H4) should it not have xu4 on the plate?
    Last edited by Wombat7051; 31-01-2015 at 09:17 AM.

Cruiser
    It is not an XU4 as the GVM is 2200kg not 1950kg just wishful thinking from the seller

What's more wishful, thinking that's an xu4 or the xu4 being collectable?

Maybe I need to be more excited about the xu4 hx in my shed.

Why would you 'need' a lower payload? I always thought passenger tyres were a comfort based decision.

Sandman Guru
    Passenger tyres were used to create the 500kg (10cwt) carrying capacity. Nothing to do with comfort.

So why would you want a reduce capacity?

From memory as the GVM of the vehicle increases the registration cost increase. So reduced GVM may have meant the vehicle fell into different pricing bracket for registration and possible insurance. The powers that be may have deemed that over 500kg payload may have deemed the vehicle a commercial vehicle at the time. I remember getting a shock when I went to rego an old Gemini panel van I had years ago. The cost of rego and third party in NSW where higher for the Gemini van than the VB Commodore I had. When I enquired why with the insurance company I was told the van was deemed a commercial vehicle even thou policy was for private use.

Thread Information