Thread: HZ Sandman/Panelman GVM

HZ Sandman/Panelman GVM

Hi There,

Can anyone help, I'm looking at purchasing an HZ Sandman panelvan. Some the ones I have seen for sale state a GVM of 1950kg on their tags, but on the HZ identification sheet (from mysandman.com) says the GVM on the 'V8 Panelvan' (I assume this means the sandman variant) is 2000kg.

Can anyone clarify this please?

Thanks if anyone can help,
    Robbo NZ

Sandman Guru
    HZ Sandman van can be 1950kg, 2000kg or 2200kg. Just depends whether it is a Sandman or a de-rated Sandman. And then when it was complianced. 1977 complianced HZ XX7 van is 1950kg. 1978-9 complainced HZ XX7 van is 2000kg. HZ XU3 van is 2200kg.

Thanks very much for the GVM information! Know of any Aus HZ's that you might recommend to me?

For your information, I did a search of the NZ land transport archives, they were most helpful; as of January 15 this year, there has been a total of 32 Sandmans that have come into NZ, of that, there are 8 still active.

I did not ask if some of the inactive ones may be a case of rego-on-hold (but i don't think so)

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo_NZ View Post
    Thanks very much for the GVM information! Know of any Aus HZ's that you might recommend to me?

For your information, I did a search of the NZ land transport archives, they were most helpful; as of January 15 this year, there has been a total of 32 Sandmans that have come into NZ, of that, there are 8 still active.

I did not ask if some of the inactive ones may be a case of rego-on-hold (but i don't think so)
    I thought they were not allowed to give out that sort of info?Becouse we had ours(all are cars)info blocked for the sake of safety.If anyone inquires about our cars we are contacted before any information is given out..

Cheers Kiwivan
    It is not about the journey,It is the style we travel in!

Sandman Guru
    What is actually a Sandman and which isn't for NZ transport would be similar to asking a kid which end of a sausage is the pointy end! The info they have would depend upon many factors:

a) That when the car was sold new in NZ that it was recorded as a Sandman.
    b) That when it was bought over as a dealer swap that it was recorded as a Sandman.
    c) That when the car came over as a used car that it was even known to be a Sandman.
    d) That when any of the above changed hands or were subsequently registered that they were noted as a Sandman.
    e) That when any van or ute or even replica Sandman was registered it was recorded as a Sandman.
    f) Similar circumstances to any of the above.

When you see how many Sandmans sold new over here do not mention Sandman on the VID certificate, and how many registered are simple recorded as a ute or van. Then how many people think that any van is a Sandman or any ute or van with stripes is a Sandman you can see how it would be hard to believe those figures.

Thought I’d see what info might be available, but it was only very general. Other than the number 32, and 8 [still active] – there were absolutely no details.
    You are right, they would most definitely not be allowed to reveal details.
    One would wonder how many of that 32, were genuine Sandmans.

Sandman Guru
    Or how many were registered with no mention of Sandman.

Thread Information