Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Original paint colour help.

Very true about the seating but a start.
    Maybe contact Holden Historical Service,
    armed with what little you have they might be able to help.

Sandman Guru
    Probably no point bothering Ben with this one, he'd only come to me for help. You simply cannot tell with this one from ID alone. I'd give it maybe 25% chance of being an XU3, 75% a HX van optined with L31 M41 and XS6. Does it have a quad nose on it and Premier doortrims? If so it may be a BO6.

Does it have a quad nose on it and Premier doortrims? If so it may be a BO6.

Hope these pics help with that? If not let me know as it is sitting in the shed, any other images that may be of use just let me know (next time I'll take it out for a clearer pic)

ATTACH=CONFIG]12392[/ATTACH]P1180227 - Copy.JPG

A previous owner had put these guards on because he liked them and I am pretty sure the nose has been replaced also (due to some blue paint showing underneath which isn't apparent anywhere else)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I or Is not, its a nice looking van

Hell yeah looks very nice

Sandman Driver
    Looks great, very straight. I was looking at that 2200 GVM earlier today as well, but wondered if thats particularly conclusive? I was wondering if the headlining is factory, because why would you want a commercial built with a headlining on the heavier chassis. (Not that I'm suggesting you'd want to pull the headlining out at the back to check, they tear very easy and are a job for a bit of an expert hand to put back right, maybe not much point without the missing plate either).

Theres maybe some other pointers, eg the GTS mirrors are on it (thats a detail many replications miss), but its easy enough to fit them if you can get hold of them, the dash looks like its has silver trim, but again could be a re-fit - is it white or yellow needle? You could check to see if the GTS loom is on it, or if its been messed with. These were getting harder to get a while back.

The paint looks pretty good! Does it really need a respray?

It looks like its had one at some point reasonably recently, (you mentioned getting it 'stripped' at some point) if you really do want to do a test, you could try rubbing back a small patch on the inside of the lower tailgate with wet and dry, that should all have been body colour once (please correct me someone if Im wrong here). Blasting wont show you this of course, and if it's been blasted at some pointbefore, you may not find much. Inside of the lower tailgate's maybe a good test area for that reason, might just be lucky. I wouldnt use stripper!
    Last edited by SLR_dave; 04-02-2015 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Tailgate suggestion

Thanks for the suggestions it is white needle, also the paint is not too bad but it has faded and there are a few rust bubbles along the seams down the sides and some small bubbles starting to show on the roof. Will try rubbing a patch back inside the tail gate and see what that shows. How can you tell if it is GTS loom?
    Even if by chance it is not genuine the work will still be done as everyone over here that has seen it says they haven't seen one this tidy in many years so it may as well be finished off to look the part. (also it wont be sold for a long time)

Banned
    No point basing much on a hanging panel. Check on the A pillar of somewhere similar. Anything that is removable is doubtful as proving much really.
    Have you worked out when and why the tag is missing? Is the correct chassis in it still?

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by SLR_dave View Post
    Looks great, very straight. I was looking at that 2200 GVM earlier today as well, but wondered if thats particularly conclusive? I was wondering if the headlining is factory, because why would you want a commercial built with a headlining on the heavier chassis. (Not that I'm suggesting you'd want to pull the headlining out at the back to check, they tear very easy and are a job for a bit of an expert hand to put back right, maybe not much point without the missing plate either).

Theres maybe some other pointers, eg the GTS mirrors are on it (thats a detail many replications miss), but its easy enough to fit them if you can get hold of them, the dash looks like its has silver trim, but again could be a re-fit - is it white or yellow needle? You could check to see if the GTS loom is on it, or if its been messed with. These were getting harder to get a while back.

The paint looks pretty good! Does it really need a respray?

It looks like its had one at some point reasonably recently, (you mentioned getting it 'stripped' at some point) if you really do want to do a test, you could try rubbing back a small patch on the inside of the lower tailgate with wet and dry, that should all have been body colour once (please correct me someone if Im wrong here). Blasting wont show you this of course, and if it's been blasted at some pointbefore, you may not find much. Inside of the lower tailgate's maybe a good test area for that reason, might just be lucky. I wouldnt use stripper!
    2200kg GVW is pretty conclusive as XU3's are pretty scarce. If it was 1950kg i'd give it far more chance of being an XX7 than an XU4. Most HX V8 Kingswood vans had 2200kg GVW and the full headlining so that combination is very common. On a HX Holden van the comfort pack (headling and carpet) is far less common outside of XX7 but could still be ordered.

Hate to be suspicious, but if the body tag said 19V for trim maybe someone removed it to hide that.

As far as looking for original paint, remove the diamond shaped vent in the door pillar and look around inside.

Thread Information