Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Original paint colour help.

Are the door handles black? Not chrome painted with black but actual black finish.

Sandman Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    2200kg GVW is pretty conclusive as XU3's are pretty scarce. If it was 1950kg i'd give it far more chance of being an XX7 than an XU4. Most HX V8 Kingswood vans had 2200kg GVW and the full headlining so that combination is very common. On a HX Holden van the comfort pack (headling and carpet) is far less common outside of XX7 but could still be ordered.
    Was thinking on those lines, but not sure I understand, was the comfort pack (what a cool name btw) avail on HXM70?

Sandman Driver
    How about, lower A pillar under the door striker - under there that gets missed in paint a fair bit. The inner uppers should be white.

I was just returning to the original question, what was the orig colour, and thinking, when you spray a car, most people run out of money at some point, the inside of the tailgate gets so scratched up anyway, its a good space to just save on blasting. But then I spose a lot get dinted on the outside, and then replaced. Perhaps if the upper tailgate had a matching under colour?

I dunno theres really not too many spots I can think of if its been done well - but without that plate, does it really matter or is that the chase?
    Last edited by SLR_dave; 05-02-2015 at 10:33 AM.

Sandman Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysBeamin View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions it is white needle, How can you tell if it is GTS loom?
    GTS loom has a tan tacho wire that runs to the coil wound into the loom that comes out of the fire wall behind the brake vacumn unit. It should be part of the original loom, not poked through the side of the large (rectangle on HX I think) grommet that runs through the fire wall. But dont unwind a factory loom to check, that stuff never wraps back, and you want to keep it. It should be obviously there, or not, its very common to have electicians tape or something like it back toward the firewall, but that more fibourous stuff is orig, no reason to unwind it, can be seen from the outside - maybe send a quick pic or two.
    Last edited by SLR_dave; 05-02-2015 at 11:00 AM.

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by SLR_dave View Post
    Was thinking on those lines, but not sure I understand, was the comfort pack (what a cool name btw) avail on HXM70?
    Yes but rare outside of Sandman, primarily as most cars were bought from stock and not ordered. Only ordered cars would get it, and it was the only way to get carpet installed by GMH. My guess is it was also cheaper to get dealer fitted carpet.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SLR_dave View Post
    GTS loom has a tan tacho wire that runs to the coil wound into the loom that comes out of the fire wall behind the brake vacumn unit. It should be part of the original loom, not poked through the side of the large (rectangle on HX I think) grommet that runs through the fire wall. But dont unwind a factory loom to check, that stuff never wraps back, and you want to keep it. It should be obviously there, or not, its very common to have electicians tape or something like it back toward the firewall, but that more fibourous stuff is orig, no reason to unwind it, can be seen from the outside - maybe send a quick pic or two.
    HX has round hole. HJ was square.

Sandman Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandaro View Post
    Hate to be suspicious, but if the body tag said 19V for trim maybe someone removed it to hide that.

As far as looking for original paint, remove the diamond shaped vent in the door pillar and look around inside.
    Yep spot on Sandaro, that's is where I found original color on mine!! also up top where the upper tail gate hinges reside (inside there)

Sandman Driver
    Under the upper tail gate hinges is a good call, pain in the arse to access for maybe little result though.... The finish of the car looks to me like whoever painted it last went beyond merely ignoring unscrewing the diamond vents but its an easier check.

I reckon it looks like it was a pretty decent paint job.

20150206_135816.jpg20150207_145301.jpg20150207_145527.jpg20150207_153641.jpg

Few pics of loom and inside the door vent (the paint sanded back by the vent go in layers as follows: Current car colour, blue, darker red, white, bare metal.
    As for a chassis number cant seem to find one by the steering box anywhere
    My thought on the ID plate was that it may have been misplaced during a respray at some point in its life? Was going to try and see if the previous owner had any idea about its where abouts.
    Last edited by AlwaysBeamin; 07-02-2015 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Body ID PLate

Banned
    Just drive it and enjoy it for what it is. Forget about the numbers.

Thread Information