Thread: Radiator support panels

Radiator support panels

It seems that not all twin headlight radiator support panels were created equal.
    The rough one is the original from my van, the solid black one is representative of all the ones I have seen on ebay.

ExampleEdge.jpg
    knockoff.jpg

On the angled corner above the blinker holes I have a flat part with two bolt holes.

The black one does not.

Do different models have different holes? Is the black one a bad replica?

Any help would be appreciated. As would a lead on a good condition panel for my spares pile. :-)
    We'll get there shortly.

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by tidyvan View Post
    It seems that not all twin headlight radiator support panels were created equal.
    The rough one is the original from my van, the solid black one is representative of all the ones I have seen on ebay.

ExampleEdge.jpg
    knockoff.jpg

On the angled corner above the blinker holes I have a flat part with two bolt holes.

The black one does not.

Do different models have different holes? Is the black one a bad replica?

Any help would be appreciated. As would a lead on a good condition panel for my spares pile. :-)
    Looks to be a hj panel, a small bracket bolts to each side if I remember rightly ,then it will look the same as the later one piece front ,a standard hj panel will have them too if you see one complete you will unbolt them paint them and put them on yours.

Sandman Driver
    The replica is not HJ-HZ. Wont work.
    It's been a while scince I stripped an HQ but looks more likely to be HQ... um I cant remember how that corner hangs together on HQ. I bet theres an answer real quick though (Big Grin).

Sandman Guru
    HJ have extra attachment bolts to the nosecone. Can't remember the detail though. I used to make these up out of crashed fronts in the 80's and noticed the difference then.

Keep us in the loop on this one please. Such as fit quality and build quality. I need a radiator support for my twin head light front. Would be good to know if these replacement ones are the go. Cheers

Both the panels pictured are HJ to HZ, HQ are totally different and do not have the holes out board of the lights and the lights are further towards the outside of the panel, this is due to the later models having the indicators in the front panel. The HJ has the little angle brackets that bolt between the guard and the rad support, the later ones have it as part of the stamping. From memory the HQ are the same as the HJ but I'm not sure if they are the same bracket.
    HQ Glacier White Belmont Ute
    Wanted Lanspeed accessories for Holden Grey engines, twin carb manifolds, extractors, rocker cover, 3 speed floor shift.

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick61 View Post
    Both the panels pictured are HJ to HZ, HQ are totally different and do not have the holes out board of the lights and the lights are further towards the outside of the panel, this is due to the later models having the indicators in the front panel. The HJ has the little angle brackets that bolt between the guard and the rad support, the later ones have it as part of the stamping. From memory the HQ are the same as the HJ but I'm not sure if they are the same bracket.
    That's the bits I was talking about not sure either if q&j brackets are same

After a bit of investigating I've found where I went wrong. I thought the angled edge was part of the support panel (looking at the old photo). It's a bracket that holds guard to panel and acts as the bonnet bump stop.

BracketUnder.jpg
    BracketTop.jpg
    We'll get there shortly.

Thread Information