Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weird electrical issue....

Banned
    Ignition module won't stop it cranking. Just won't start.

I had this problem cleaned greased and tightened the positive on the starter solenoid and all was good

key on if got dash lights but no go just do basic hot line from battery to coil and screwdriver to starter motor poss terminal and away you go saves on tow truck as long as the starter motor is fine

Thanks guys, some great suggestions there. I don't work Wednesdays so I'll tackle it tomorrow.

Beachy, I hope you're right.

I have a few good batteries and a brand new gear reduction starter so that's no problem.

I would have hit the starter if I could, but the van is pretty low and it was pissing down rain. Tool kit was a bit low on wire to try to hot wire it too (that'll never happen again!). Considering it was only $77.00 , the tilt tray ride home wasn't a bad option.

I'll report back tomorrow night....Thanks again everyone. I love this forum!

PS, The bloke with the prosthetic leg was a legend! Typical country bloke that was happy to help. I offered him some money and he flat-out refused. I bet he would have pushed me if I had a manual and was trying to clutch start it.
    Last edited by Big Rob; 18-02-2015 at 12:21 AM. Reason: PS
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Jason.ruff wins the prize!!!!!!!!

It was a collapsed cell in the battery!

I never would have thought a car wouldn't start when attached to a good battery via jumper leads, regardless of how bad the battery was, but I chucked a new battery in and the van fired straight up. It's charging at idle and all appears to be good.

I don't normally get out of it this easy, Murphy's law usually rules and my problem is the worst possible one, but this time I had a good one.

Thanks to everyone for your time and suggestions, I tackled the job with a lot of confidence that no matter what it was, I was going to win.

In fact, we all win, because most of us have just gained some more information that may be of use down the line.

Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Yahoooooo
    Simple fix!
    Congrats.

Cheers Kiwivan
    It is not about the journey,It is the style we travel in!

Posted this comment some time back and thought i'd reshare, if it helps explain the charged battery that evidently wasn't happy inside.

Batteries have two conditions that affect their performance and lifespan. State of charge (SOC) and State of health (SOH). State of charge is the electrical pressure stored in each cell from charging (Volts) but more importantly is the state of health, which is the batteries ability to deliver current under load (internal resistance).

SOH deteriorates when sulphation of the cells occurs and this starts to happen when a 12VDC battery voltage drops below 12.4VDC A lead acid battery is fully charged at 12.72VDC, at risk of sulphation at 12.4VDC and chemically empty at 11.7VDC

High sulphation results in a high internal resistance across the cells and can lead to boiling off of the acid when charging. This boiling off can show itself as an explosion, warped or cracked battery or acid leakage from battery vents or cell caps.

Batteries that have fallen below 5VDC may not be recoverable and if they do recover under charge, will most definitely have cell sulphation which limits their CCA ability

Hope this is of some help

Thanks Damien.

I have the old battery out of the van and put a multi meter across the terminals and it's reading 12.3 volts but fluctuating a bit. The common man, or someone without your knowledge in the field, would view that as a charged and healthy battery. I did, and ruled out the battery as a cause of my problem. It was the battery that was in the van when I bought it about 18 months ago, so before that I don't know it's history. The one I installed has been in a number of my cars (I rotate batteries a bit depending on what I'm driving) and I know it well so I don't think there will be any future issues, but jumper leads will now be in ALL my cars from now on.

I'm glad I didn't pull the starter out first!

Banned
    I think you might see in my first post mention that 12 volts at the battery doesn't mean the battery is any good.

No probs Big Rob, wbute is onto it as well.

If you have a battery that is going to stand around a lot, keeping it on trickle charge is a good idea. If you have a charger that operates as a 'pulse' type charger (it will pulse its charge voltage during the process) this helps break down any mild sulphation.

Cheers

Thread Information