Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel tank not filling up

Learner Driver

Fuel tank not filling up

Im after some advice, I fitted a 2nd hand fuel tank as the original rotted out,but now can only fill to just over half a tank full,checked the breather hoses and all seem to be ok. should the main larger breather located just above the filler hose be submerged in fuel inside the tank, fuel can be heard bubbling when air is blown through it? there is also a restrictor in the top small breather line on top of the tank that i don't think my old tank had, is this meant to be there ? any help would be very appreciated.

It can only be a venting issue make sure hose are hooked up to there right pipe

Learner Driver
    There are only a few hoses,all are of different sizes so they can't be mixed up, i doubled checked.I'm still not sure if the larger breather pipe is meant to be submerged in the tank.

It can only be a blockage in the venting system is the carbon canister hooked up properly not mud wasp nest in hose or pipe work

Sandman Driver
    Interesting, I dont know much about this but I'm thinking maybe it's a bit easier than that (maybe). Toranas used to be slow fillers from time to time. Modern pumps are quite fast, especially the new ones. Always wanted to know how petrol bowsers work so just googled - heres an interesting link. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/gas-pump.htm
    The you tube video on the first page has a reasonable explanation of how the filling nozzle switches off, its U.S. but I reckon what are the chances its different here?

So if there is not enough air comming up the filler tube (from the tank) or, perhaps, if the angle of the filler gun only fits in on an angle in such a way that its airway is constricted... I dunno, try a slower bowser? Or... pour it in with a Jerry can and funnel (BIG GRIN - slight stir). But I suppose you could consider, is the alignment of the tank correct? Can you get a decent angle on a fuel filler nozzle, what happens if you withdraw it halfway etc.

Regarding that breather pipe that goes back toward the fuel filler mouth, and the 'restrictor' perhaps a pic might help.

If you decide to go with checking all fuel system breathers etc, probably a good idea to remember that with fuel systems, whenever you take a rubber hose off, and then reconnect it, it is very easy to break a tiny peice off the inside of the hose (which you will not see - especially on an older hose or when you are working upside down and cant fully see the connection) that can then work its way into the system, e.g.; carby, or maybe even a breather, if its a big chunk? Just a thought.

Banned
    Maybe one of those bloody mud wasps filled the breather up with mud and you didn't notice? Can you blow compressed air through all of the breathers?
    Just noticed Beachy already posted this.

Learner Driver
    Thanks for the input,I have already put compressed air through the lines,and all seem ok,except the larger breather pipe above the filler hose (about 1/2'' diameter)which can be heard to bubble in fuel inside the tank, which i can't find any info in to confirm if its ok or not. it use to be fine with the old tank, but just doesn't like this 2nd hand tank. I will the remove the tank again and maby remove the small restrictor , or try another tank,

Learner Driver
    DSC04152.jpg
    Can anyone tell me if there is meant to be a breather pipe running down internally behind the filler port as shown in the pic,it stops about 3inches from the bottom of the tank, but has a slight bend to it,and the soldering looks a little suspect, I'm not sure if this tank has been modified, it was purchased from a wreckers and no history could be obtained, and the old tank is long gone to compare it to.

If that's the breather then it wont work. Breather has to vent air and gases as the tank is filled with liquid. Is that the pipe that goes back to the filler nozzle area?

That doesn't look right to me, although it's a long time since I saw a tank out of a van.

I doesn't sound right for a breather tube to be down in the tank either.... How can it breath? I think that's your problem.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Thread Information