Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Honda XR500

Sandman Guru
    Those old XR's sure must be popular as a worn 25-30 year old unregoed bike pulls more than i'd get for my 1100kM 2011 DR650SE! Looking closely there isn't much difference in technology either apart from oil coolers, electric start and far bigger brakes. The old XR's had maybe a tad more rear suspension travel but easy fixed on the DR for not much money.

Banned
    It's like cars I suppose. A V8 HZ ute worth more than a V8 VS ute.
    I tell you one thing, the XR 500 motor feels twice as heavy as the CRF450 I had. The crf piston is bigger than the xr one too. The old xr is a real thumper with a long stroke though.
    So far it looks like the previous butcher owners undid every bolt with an imperial set of tools. I had to wedge a 3/8 socket on the 10mm cam bolts to undo them. At least they undid.
    Tip for any beginner restorers out there,buy good quality tools in both metric and A/F. Don't be tempted to use metric on A/F and vice/versa. Don't use open ended spanners if you can avoid it either. I know you have to sometimes. Never use a shifter/lathe in the hand either!

Sandman Guru
    Pick up an old XL250 or XL500 engine from 1979-80, they are the same bottom end basically and heavy as. When you look at an oil in frame old XT500 the engine looks tiny with this big head and barrel on it but the XL engine had a big bum on it.

I use metrinch spanners and sockets as they work on the flats of the bolt or nut. I think sidchrome have come out with a similar product. Perfect for fixing things when people use nut f--kers or the wrong spanner.

Banned
    Got a fair way with this. Turned into a monster really. I bought another complete 84 500 for parts. Turned out the 83 engine was maintained by no one ever. Split crankcase, barrel studs recoiled but to bolts that were too big, main shaft in gearbox had a thrust washer fused to one of the gears etc etc.
    So long story short, after welding all the cracks up I the good frame, sourcing all the hard to get bits from the US, and using most of the 84 motor I am close to finished.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpg

Banned
    All but finished. Just got to re-spoke the wheels. Started second kick too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RH5...&feature=share

Wb, do you or any others have a magic potion/method for restoring the plastics on these?

image.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    All but finished. Just got to re-spoke the wheels. Started second kick too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RH5...&feature=share
    Sounds like it should James nice miss my bike havnt ridden one for 20 years now i reckon

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by juzanobody View Post
    Wb, do you or any others have a magic potion/method for restoring the plastics on these?

image.jpeg
    You can paint then now no problem at all there is products out there to suit these

You can paint then now no problem at all there is products out there to suit these[/QUOTE]

Thanks Bud, I performed a few Google / eBay searches awhile ago which only bought up new side covers in the USA & the odd mudguard. I'll have to have a fresh look, I've been told all sorts of brews of toothpastes, wet n dry & which corner of the mouth to push your tongue against while applying the elbow grease, just hoping to gain some knowledge

Thread Information