Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Honda XR500

I can get you all the info you need on what type of paint is best to use on these plastics
    done correctly it will be sucessful

Thanks, that would be much appreciated Valencia 👍

Banned
    The method I used gave great results. First scrub them with those steel wool pads that have the soap in them. You know the ones you get at Woolies to scrub the fry pan. Then get some Stanley knife blades. Using care scrape the blade over the plastic carefully removing the discoloured top layer. You need to be careful to not let the edge of the blade dig in or gouge the plastic. You will quickly get back to the original colour. I then used a plastic bumper restorer liquid on them. It was like super thick armour all. They came up like new and like all red plastic on 80's Hondas, they were nearly completely white.
    If they are only dirty, use a scouring pad and Jiff.
    I think paint is great but as soon as you scratch it the old plastic will show through. You can't paint a plastic fuel tank either as the vapour will lift it straight off.
    There are a million YouTube videos showing plastic restoration. A lot suggest heating the plastic to bring the colour back. I wouldn't. It makes the plastic super hard and you can't scrape it then.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by juzanobody View Post
    Wb, do you or any others have a magic potion/method for restoring the plastics on these?

Attachment 15504
    Actually looking at them you might be surprised at how good they come up just with the Jiff!
    Check out the video of the radial engine that old mate has built using XR600 engines!
    http://thekneeslider.com/russell-sut...unning-strong/

Banned
    [QUOTE=Valencia;106751]Sounds like it should James nice miss my bike havnt ridden one for 20 years now i reckon

Amazing how time gets away! 20 years is too long! Do you still have a bike??
    I have slowed down heaps. I am actually just enjoying just putting around on the XR. I have a couple of much faster bikes but I am a bit more worried about how hard the ground is now.

[QUOTE=wbute;106762]
    Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    Sounds like it should James nice miss my bike havnt ridden one for 20 years now i reckon

Amazing how time gets away! 20 years is too long! Do you still have a bike??
    I have slowed down heaps. I am actually just enjoying just putting around on the XR. I have a couple of much faster bikes but I am a bit more worried about how hard the ground is now.
    Nah i havnt had a bike for a long time to many bloody cars instead
    that and the missus reckons im worth more alive than dead lol

Quote Originally Posted by juzanobody View Post
    Thanks, that would be much appreciated Valencia ��
    No probs give me a few days and i will get back to you

Thread Information