Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Never seen a maloo "sandman" Gumtree

Yeah your right Brian the bonnet is unlatched. So likely it sits way better then I first imagined.

Not sure you would compare this with the soon to be released SSV Sandman. Two different things really.

Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    It was because quite a few exist. I'm a little unclear on what they did as far as the build plate goes. Almost 100% sure you retained the HSV plate. Just not sure how the "CAN" option was added. If it was onto the HSV plate and whether you also got a HBD plate also.
    Build plate stays as is. HBD plate goes on as well to show the conversion, so it's sort of a "mod plate", even if done from new. Pretty rare if it's genuine, as most vans were SS's.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Sandman Guru
    So you end up with a HSV with a HBD option plate? That is weird.

Possibly, yet to see proof of this as yet.

Sandman Guru
    It sounds very odd, it'd be like having a "Toyota By Design" plate on a Lexus. I've never seen any such plates on a HSV before when major options were added. Not saying it didn't happen, just it'd be weird. You'd think the HSV plate would point to their records, which would document what options were fitted. As far as i'm aware the HBD plate is so it is known (probably for warranty purposes) that the particular vehicle was fitted with HBD accessories as Holden's own records normally wouldn't record this as they were more often than not done post vehicle completion.

Yeah it is odd. Although when did HBD change it's name to HSVi? VZ I'm thinking. Most if not all the "real" Maloo's fitted with the Sandman canopy option have been VZ's.

Leadfoot
    Nice unit, $93000 new though, wow.

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    Yeah it is odd. Although when did HBD change it's name to HSVi? VZ I'm thinking. Most if not all the "real" Maloo's fitted with the Sandman canopy option have been VZ's.
    That may explain it. I asked a question of HSV how it worked, they may remember.

Sandman Guru
    I just got a reply from HSV. They did get a HBD and a HSV plate but they didn't use the Sandman name. Here is the reply in red:

Hi Byron,

Yes, HBD did fit a few Maloos with canopies. They were never marketed as Sandmans though. As with all HBD product a build plate was fitted so HSV vehicles had two plates. This happened in many instances such as sunroofs etc.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Close as dammit but. If you were going to build a modern sandman you wouldn't change much from this one. If only I had $45K it would be in my garage, Subject to approval from the minister for finance.
    I would definitely change the wheels though.

Thread Information