Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Slowly making a start on my new hz xx7 project

Brakes before and after

Diff is looking good. New brake lines

- - - Updated - - -

Got new tyres. Been saving these rims for something special. Should of cleaned them before photo but I'll get a good shot if I get home from work in the day light tyre size is 245/60 14
    Last edited by rathyhg; 24-07-2015 at 11:45 PM.

Been looking at getting my front gts rims chromed to suit the rears. And wow! I can't believe the $$ people are wanting to do these. One wheel company in perth wanted $450 per rim.
    I've called around and found a cheaper guy. The rims have to be split from the centres to be chromed and then re welded.
    So I'm going to get new 7" outer rims for the front.
    We can restore cars back to original. But we can't restore originality.

Banned
    Wouldn't the welding wreck the new chrome?

Looking good rathyhg.
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Yeah I'm a bit worried about the chrome. Every chrome plating shop wants the rims split. I'll post as I problgress

You need to chrome the inners and outers separately. Welding them together only discolours a small section on the rear. Even from factory these (welded areas) get a squirt of silver paint.
    Buying chrome outers is pretty easy new. Just need to chrome the inners and have them fitted.

That's just lazy of the chromers. I worked at a chrome platers when I was young and we chromed everything including wheels. Never was there a need to split rim from centre. I think its just so they can get their polishing mops into every tight space.
    There's no other logical reason to separate rim from centre, in fact I think its dangerous as you would then be welding a chrome surface to another chrome surface. Far better to do it in one piece and retain the integrity of the wheel.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

I've been in the plating industry and sure you can plate the wheel in one piece you can use speciality mops and pay for the extra polishing hours. Or pull it apart, polish it, weld it back together and then plate it as a whole. But you will miss out on polishing the copper (as if it was ever going to happen these days anyway!). The real reason is that you can buy chrome outers for a lot less than chroming a secondhand rim by quite a lot.

Think about it like this. You can paint and prepare a door jamb and hinges on a car or you can take it apart by removing the door and hinges to get the required finish.
    Last edited by Innuendo; 26-07-2015 at 04:33 AM.

I forgot to mention. I had trouble getting a thrust (or throw out) bearing. But after a flick through the forums I found grunts papaya hx thread. And a big thanks to him for his detailed forum. To recap if it's to suit a hz with cable clutch go to repco and ask for a GSB396 it comes as a bearing and carrier. It's off a later model commy and Although it's plastic I think it will work fine. Cheers grunt

Thread Information