Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abbott government to scrap further budget cuts to the australian car industry.

Abbott government to scrap further budget cuts to the australian car industry.

You don't spend half a billion on rearranging the Titanic's deck chairs.

http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/150...ustry-support/

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1227256578974

Yep cut funding to stuff like legal aid and other agencies to prop up an already dead industry, why didn't I think of that. Genius

There's still an Australian car industry?

The horse is dead.... stop flogging it!
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post
    There's still an Australian car industry?

The horse is dead.... stop flogging it!
    I think they must have suddenly realised there was a lot more to the Australian vehicle industry than just the car makers themselves. The component manufacturers employees outnumber the Toyota/Holden/Ford workforce by somewhere around 20:1 and I think that light just came on in the governments empty thought bubble that somewhere around 30,000 new people out of work is going to really create unemployment figure issues, not to mention more strain on welfare and less people contributing to the economy by means of paying tax...

So by their rationale if they can be seen to be making a token gesture they'll look like they tried to save the industry and are genuine "great blokes" for trying to do so. Where the real loss is the collective manufacturing "know-how" that dies along with the industry.

Our pollies... They're all too smart by half...
    Nunc est bibendum...

Leadfoot
    The one thing that has been missing all along is support and assistance for our Aftermarket sector. It has always been the case that if you don't make cars then you don't get support. What about the Aftermarket such as Pedder's, Repco, and all the other companies that make, sell and fit replacement parts and accessories and do not get involved in supplying the car makers. Some Aftermarket companies produce and sell in the international market, particularly the 4WD and performance sector. Any available funding should be shared equally amongst viable automotive contributors and those who can exhibit they will survive.

Could be something in that mate
    Disclaimer: I am not an expert.

I'm sad to see the employees of the manufacturers and back up industries suffer, but have always been sceptical of the constant call by the big manufacturers for federal funding. It seems part of the business plan to extract millions (if not billions) to prop up their business. If a business can't survive without support it shouldn't continue. Whilst I'm not an accountant I'm sure the disclosed profit margins are in reality greater than declared, like any business claimed deductions aren't necessarily real ones. The underlining fact is they can build cars cheaper elsewhere. If they can cut costs and increase profits they are going to do it. I'm in no doubt if they didn't have the alternative of somewhere else to build cars cheaper, they'd continue operations here.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gregbark View Post
    The one thing that has been missing all along is support and assistance for our Aftermarket sector. It has always been the case that if you don't make cars then you don't get support. What about the Aftermarket such as Pedder's, Repco, and all the other companies that make, sell and fit replacement parts and accessories and do not get involved in supplying the car makers. Some Aftermarket companies produce and sell in the international market, particularly the 4WD and performance sector. Any available funding should be shared equally amongst viable automotive contributors and those who can exhibit they will survive.
    Should you add Rare Spares to that list?
    Perhaps if you took away retail pricing on aftermarket products and introduced an auction system for those products you could sample running a business that's really challenging.

- - - Updated - - -

However there is really no place for politics on this forum in my opinion. Or sport it seems.

Ive always disliked Abbott, but his comments yesterday while poorly worded were spot on. We can no longer go on supporting any part of our community that doesn't contribute in some way. The days of the handout are gone. If you wish to live in a remote community then don't expect there to be services provide, that's what gazetted towns are for. If anyone wishes to criticize me go ahead, but ive lived in the Territory most of my life so I have a better idea than most of the goings on.

Totally agree with you Jason but the handouts just should not stop there
    they could save the aussie tax payer 1 billion $$$ a year easy
    but noooo we have to help people in other countries before we help our own people
    go figure
    i will never understand how our government thinks its got me f@&$?!

Thread Information