Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turbo 400 leak

Cruiser
    I had a similar problem in the Stato and what was happening was the oil cooler was mounted higher than the box, sometimes the oil would drain back out of it and there's a seal in the speedo gear holder thingy (inside where the speedo cable goes) where mine was leaking from, new$10 seal and all's good.
    As per Sandvan79's post i just read
    Cheers

Yeah, my cooler is higher than the box too and I thing that's the issue. Maybe a loop in the hoses might help. From memory, a few cars I've worked on had a loop in the hard line from bottom tank to trans for that reason.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Flamenco_not_Flamingo
    Quote Originally Posted by hxbunny View Post
    I had a similar problem in the Stato and what was happening was the oil cooler was mounted higher than the box, sometimes the oil would drain back out of it and there's a seal in the speedo gear holder thingy (inside where the speedo cable goes) where mine was leaking from, new$10 seal and all's good.
    As per Sandvan79's post i just read
    Cheers
    Exactly what was happening with my turbo 400 in the HX and the exact same situation with the oil cooler.

Hmm interesting, so what options would you guys have with the hoses etc on my cooler? At the moment it's mounted at the RH front of the radiator nearly sitting on the splash panel. It's connected with two rubber hoses straight into the steel fittings in the box. Thanks for taking the time to help also, it's appreciated. Cheers

very common. I have brought many cars that have driven into shed and, whattya know, years later "Auto stuffed", selling cheap needs new auto.. all they needed was 3 litres of trans fluid and let it idle for 10 min. trimatics seem worse than T400

the pan seal can be tricky, I use proper trans sealer, I have found the others to leak. always go for a neoprene seal, and do the bolts for the pan up in a sequence to make it evenly tight. do them all up finger tight and allow 24 hours for the sealant to cure, then re tighten 1/4 turn..

overtightening on an old cork gasket will cause a leak for sure
    "All correspondence must bear these numbers"

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by RAEME View Post
    Hmm interesting, so what options would you guys have with the hoses etc on my cooler? At the moment it's mounted at the RH front of the radiator nearly sitting on the splash panel. It's connected with two rubber hoses straight into the steel fittings in the box. Thanks for taking the time to help also, it's appreciated. Cheers
    Nothing. Fix the seals on the selector and speedo drive and it should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    Nothing. Fix the seals on the selector and speedo drive and it should be fine.
    Yeah, I have a feeling you are right. If the dipstick tube, selector seal and speedo drive don't leak, and the pan gasket is intact and torqued right, then it doesn't matter if the level in the trans is high when parked.

I put a loop in the rubber hoses and cable-tied them up a bit higher than the cooler and this helped a lot. It seems to stop (or slow) the drain back to the trans from the cooler. I suppose you could find a low location for the cooler, but the radiator is a good spot in the airflow.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Thread Information