Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My HK van 1977-1979

Quote Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post
    GeeeeeZ! That's one of the most beautiful HK/T/G utes I've ever seen. Better than they ever were when new.
    This is one seriously clean car. The owner reversed it into a wall within 1 or two weeks of ownership from memory! nice guy
    BQZ

Quote Originally Posted by we wreck xx7s only View Post
    the good ole days huh?? no one hassled you for being different and modifying a car like the van, guys like rob were true innovators, ppl like him made me crave to learn about a gas axe and litrs of K&N, awesome days and memories of 1980-81 riding my push bike down to vancraft and seeing john evans latest creation, and next door seeing keith matcham chopping a lid on a 350 HQ coupe with tee tops, saying to myself "one day I will do that" and in a few short years it became a reality..the other differences was everyone had a job, was skinny, was happy and the only drug we worried about was a bex from mum for a headache we got when we were clipped about the ear for talking in class..
    they just don't write em like that anymore
    Kind words, thanks. Your memories are similar to mine. I couldn't wait for the next "Custom Vans and Trucks" to come out, or the odd couple of pages vans would get in "Wheels" magazine.
    I don't know about being an innovator, I was a bumbling teenager, but I knew what I liked and went about finding out how to do it. The van was resprayed by Daryl Issacs when it made the transition to "Time Machine", but I did all the flares after reading how to in a US magazine, possibly "Car Craft". I wasn't scared (probably should have been!) to cut and join stuff.
    I built the interior after looking at a heap of vans at van shows and talking to the owners. I had good wood and metal working skills from school, so it was a piece of cake. The fur was easy, just a big roll of bathroom carpet and a huge tin of "Kwikgrip". I nearly died of the fumes while I was doing it!

John Evan's "Tangerine Dream", then "Reincarnation" (I loved black vans) got my blood pumping. I was fortunate to later meet and be friends with John Strachan and was heavily influenced by the early "Alley Cat". John showed me how to think outside the box, so that's where I got the guts to do things that were "new", like the A9X flares and hood scoop being moulded-in, rather than just bolted on.

I have a lot more pics of the van in the build too.

They were great days....
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    Nice, I saw one in Warwick Yellow too done with the same GTS treatment and it was awesome too. The silver one I looked at was nothing as nice as that though, it was a restorer.
    Bit like this ol' boat anchor, you've got to love 'em!

wazza yellow ute 001.jpg

Sandman Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    Bit like this ol' boat anchor, you've got to love 'em!

wazza yellow ute 001.jpg
    That's it. I only wish GMH had extracted a digit and started on the sports utility concept far earlier than HQ, then there would be a heap more 5 litre HK-HG utes around today in GTS style.

Yeah, who wouldn't want one of them? That's beautiful.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Thread Information