Thread: The 100th. A special day!

The 100th. A special day!

DSC06743.JPG

45,000 applicants, and I am 1 of 10,000 from the ballot.
    Last edited by Maysik; 23-03-2015 at 01:08 AM.

Cruiser
    Now that is super cool, even Uber cool

Thanks Frosty, I think so too.

Who would have guessed, but I'll take the once in a lifetime opportunity.

Yep i put in for that ballot too. But didn't do any good. Congrats it will be a big event. Just take a suitcase full of dollars with you, I here they have put the jack under everything. I will take my Dad next year.

Sandman Guru
    Well done mate. I too want to get to Galipoli one day. I've been to Turkey but time didn't permit getting there (on a cruise ship). Make sure you get to Ephesus whilst in Turkey (better than Pompeii and Herculaneum combined in my opinion).

Banned
    I went in 99. Was a great experience. We could still go amongst the headstones above ANZAC cove for the dawn service then. It was the most moving thing I have done to be honest.
    They had a museum there. One thing that stands out in my memory were serveral bullets/projectiles that had struck in mid air and fused together. Gives you some idea of the intensity of the place.

- - - Updated - - -

I went in 99. Was a great experience. We could still go amongst the headstones above ANZAC cove for the dawn service then. It was the most moving thing I have done to be honest.
    They had a museum there. One thing that stands out in my memory were serveral bullets/projectiles that had struck in mid air and fused together. Gives you some idea of the intensity of the place.

From what you say it is well worth the visit James, I shall have to look into this. Alway's wanted to visit the battlefield's of France too.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Sandman Guru
    The war memorial and adjacent cemetery in Thailand for the Thai-Burma railway is pretty moving too, as is the walk over the Khwae Yai River bridge. I imagine it is nothing like a dawn service at Gallipoli though.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
    From what you say it is well worth the visit James, I shall have to look into this. Alway's wanted to visit the battlefield's of France too.
    I did this in 2000. The Somme Battlefield tour.
    3 days of go go go. It was quite expensive and as it turned out the guide and I were the only people on this tour, you don't get tours like that (one on one) every day.
    The other 8 people just did not front for the tour, paid up and all. Some just wanted to stay in the city they were in prior to the tour. Their bad luck.

He asked where I wanted to go, Villers? etc etc, I explained I would get there in due course but I wanted to go to farther outlying battlefields where visitors don't usually go, (due to distance and certainly not insignificance).

This bloke was so excited, he rarely got to go to the outlaying battlefields as distance usually prohibited visitors the luxury of time to travel there. Yes, I may have missed out on a lot of nearby battlefields to see, but I believe it was time pay respects to those farther afield that do not usually get that high vis. attention.

I was walking through the Tyne Cot commonwealth War Cemetery, for some reason while walking along (the many many rows of headstones), I glanced at this headstone. I stepped a few paces past this particular headstone. I stopped, walked backwards and had another look went to walk forward but had to take a photo before moving off. Don't know why!
    Years later, after moving to the Hunter and having to travel through Abermain on every work day to go to work I drove past this park. Guess which fallen soldier it was named after. And I have a photo of his headstone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HK1837 View Post
    The war memorial and adjacent cemetery in Thailand for the Thai-Burma railway is pretty moving too, as is the walk over the Khwae Yai River bridge. I imagine it is nothing like a dawn service at Gallipoli though.
    I have read a few books about the fall of Singapore and the various horrendous situations those poor blokes ended up in. What those fellas went through, (then the survivors returned home to try and live a normal life) really makes you feel lucky to be posting on a forum like this.
    Enjoy the trip Maysik and it's good someone who appreciates it got it!!!!

Thread Information