Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: floor shift hole

Learner Driver

floor shift hole

i have 3 hq holdens and 2 have an angle plate at the front of the floor shift hole screwed on does any one know what this is

Sandman Guru
    I haven't seen it written anywhere in GMH literature yet, but I think the ones with the plate at the front are for floor shift 4spd with bench seat, whereas the ones without the plate are for console shift (auto or manual) or floor shift 4spd with buckets. The extra notch is to clear the hockey stick shifter that goes with the bench seat.

As a check can you send me the details of all 3 x cars and i'll see whether this rings true for them?

Learner Driver
    i have a sydney built hq van l31 m21 gv2 2seat it has the plate 11/73 i have a brisbane built l31 m21 gv2 2seat has the plate 2/73 i have a brisbane l32 m20 2seat it has the plate i have a brisbane built ute l32 m20 it does not have the plate 5/74

Wasn't the plate around the shifter to do with the ADR's on reinforcing the shifter hole & help holding the lower boot to seal up the hole for fumes(if that's the plate your talking about)
    Regards
    Neil & Cherone

Sandman Guru
    You can see the plate clearly in the earlier HQ parts catalogues, group 12.972. They call it "cover - floor pan gearshift lever (M) - floor shift" and say except for 37 bodystyles. The reason for the "except 37" is Monaro always had console shift with 4spd, all the other body styles had a floor shift version. I'm almost certain it is for installation clearance of the original HQ hockey stick shifter. It was probably deleted later when the shifter sticks became removeable.

Learner Driver
    so what you are saying is the 2 seat has hockey stick gear shift

Sandman Guru
    No, what I meant was GMH were always very keen to limit the number of different bodies in white so probably made them all the same at the body building stage to avoid delays during the assembly process. For HQ prior to Sandman there was only one body for 4sod commercials whereas auto and 3spd had two each (bucket seat versions had a seat separator with column shift).
    Remember i'm speculating here based upon limited info.
    Last edited by HK1837; 28-03-2015 at 12:31 PM.

welcome Bob
    anytime you feel lightening your HQ load please give me a call!
    BQZ

Learner Driver
    the 5/74 ute does not have the plate but has a rear console mount and i have a 5/74 van no plate and has rear console mount so 1974 models must not have this plate

Sandman Guru
    That's what I meant, the 2 x piece gearstick must have appeared late '73 or early '74 hence why both of your 1974 HQ's don't have the plate. In 1974 there were 2 x 4spd van bodies, Sandman and not-Sandman. Due to the Sandman needing the seat separator / console bracket but the not-Sandman (bench or buckets) not having the bracket. Both of your 5/74 HQ's are Sandmans if the brackets are original and there is a hole there for the shifter.

Thread Information